Dec 11, 2012, 2:18 PM EDT
Just when you thought swimmers were done for the year, think again.
Seventeen U.S. Olympians, including Ryan Lochte and Allison Schmitt, are in Istanbul, Turkey this week for the Short-Course World Championships, at which swimmers compete in a 25-meter pool instead of the Olympic-distance 50m pool.
Absent from the meet is Missy Franklin, whose school work as a high school senior kept her from traveling to the meet, and Michael Phelps, who retired after the London Olympics. Will he un-retire and make a run at the 2016 Games? Lochte thinks so.
Speaking of Lochte, he’s signed up for six events at the Wednesday-Sunday meet – 200m freestyle, 200m backstroke, 50m/100m butterfly and the 100m/200m IM. And he’ll probably be added to at least one of the relays. At the last Short-Course Worlds in 2010, Lochte hauled in seven medals – six gold and a silver. He could easily pull off a similar feat in Turkey.
Schmitt, who won five medals (three gold, one silver, one bronze) in London, will swim in three races at Worlds: 200m/400m freestyle and the 4x100m freestyle relay.
Other notable London Olympians are Jessica Hardy (50m/100m freestyle, 50m/100m breaststroke), Claire Donahue (50m/100m butterfly), Chloe Sutton (400m/800m freestyle), Conor Dwyer (100m/200m IM, 200m/400m freestyle), Anthony Ervin (50m freestyle) and Matt Grevers (100m freestyle, 50m/100m backstroke).
Another swimmer to watch is Becca Mann, who will contest the 400m IM and the 800m freestyle. Mann just turned 15 and came close to making the Olympic team, finishing fifth in two races and sixth in another at Olympic Trials (the top two in each event make the roster). This fall, Mann earned one gold, one silver and four bronze medals during the FINA/ARENA Swimming World Cup. She’s got potential to be one of America’s next big swim stars.
Action starts with Wednesday morning’s prelims and ends Sunday night. Universal Sports TV will have nightly broadcasts starting Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET.
- Catching up with Bruce Jenner 0
- Boston Marathon finish line security visibility increased after backpack incident 0
- ISU receives South Korea complaint over figure skating judging 3
- Boston Marathon tribute, moment of silence held near finish line 1
- Can Michael Phelps excel in comeback? 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ cross-examination ends at murder trial 2
- Boston Marathon tragedy remembered on anniversary 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (55)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (46)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (36)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)