Dec 11, 2012, 4:31 PM EDT
Even after Olympic gold medalist Lindsey Vonn cruised to a hat trick in Lake Louise Thanksgiving weekend, she says she’s still lacking energy. She wrote in the Denver Post Tuesday that weariness may have led to her finishing 27th in the giant slalom in Switzerland this weekend after she wore herself down winning the super-G.
“It’s definitely a struggle, not just physically but mentally,” Vonn wrote. “I can’t rely on my strength the way I have in the past, because of my illness. I have to be patient, because I know it’s going to turn around. I just have to try my best to get in some extra workouts when I feel like I have the energy.”
The four-time world champ currently sits third in the world cup standings behind Slovenia’s Tina Maze and Germany’s Maria Hoefl-Riesch, and will need all the energy she can muster for her five races in the next two weeks, including a downhill race on Friday, a super-G on Saturday, and a giant slalom on Sunday.
“The schedule definitely isn’t working in my favor at this point, but I’m hoping I’ll be able to recover over the Christmas break.”
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming