Natalie Coughlin: Professional swimmer, amateur gorilla-watcher

Dec 10, 2012, 2:57 PM EST

USA TODAY Sports USA TODAY Sports

Fresh off her history-making performance in London that saw her tie Dara Torres’ and Jenny Thompson’s all-time Olympic medals total of 12 (the most for a U.S. female), Natalie Coughlin wants to keep swimming at age 30.

We caught up with Coughlin and talked about working out, her recent trip to Africa – where she proudly wore her Oakland Raiders hat in the jungle – and a whole lot more. Here’s a condensed version of our conversation:

How much swimming and training are you doing?
I’ve been lifting, running and swimming. I haven’t formally started training with the team yet, but I have been working out on my own. I’m swimming five days a week … not over 5,000 [meters a day].

When will you start competing again?
I have no idea. I’m still trying to figure out my meet schedule. But I’ll definitely be at Santa Clara [Grand Prix in early June] and World Championships Trials [in late June].

You do a lot of running. Ever think of going the Brendan Hansen route and doing triathlons?
The whole cycling thing freaks me out. Being on the road with cars … when I’m in my own car I don’t trust other drivers. If there were run-swims, I would do those.
Editor’s note: Natalie, try an aquathlon.

Did it really take you 45 hours to travel to Rwanda for your recent trip with Right to Play?
We ended up having mechanical issues in Chicago that ruined the rest of our flight. We flew from San Francisco to Chicago, then Chicago to Brussels. And originally we were supposed to fly from Brussels to Kigali [Rwanda] but because we missed that connection, and that connection only happens twice a week, we couldn’t get a flight. So we ended up having this 10-hour layover in Brussels, and then we flew Brussels to Paris, Paris to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and then Entebbe, Uganda to Rwanda.

We missed the first day of only a five-day trip. The day we landed, two hours later we had a press conference. Whenever I wasn’t speaking I was dozing off in front of all these reporters. I was at the point of absolute exhaustion.

Tell us about the gorillas you saw in Rwanda.
I will admit, there were times when I accepted that I might get completely mauled by gorillas. [laughs] A toddler gorilla kicked me and ran off. The alpha silverback came to me and brushed up against me. I was trying to look at the ground, look anywhere but in his eyes.

What else stood out during the trip?
I had my big camera and I’m taking all these photos of the kids. Everywhere we went, they were so excited to see us. They were signing and dancing and including us in all the Right to Play games. The kids … would ask me to take pictures of them so they could see their photos. It was because they don’t have mirrors; they don’t know what they look like.

If you retired tomorrow, would you be satisfied?
I don’t think I can ever be satisfied with my career, but I’m extremely proud of it. I’m proud of what I’ve done. But half the reason that I’m continuing is that I still have goals for myself. That being said, if this all gets taken away from me somehow I will continually be proud of it and I’ll be OK with moving on. I love doing this, so why not?

Right to Play is an international organization dedicated to using sport and play to empower children and youth to overcome the effects of poverty, conflict, and disease in disadvantaged communities. Read more at righttoplay.com.

Latest Posts
  1. Alan Webb set for first Olympic-sized triathlon test Saturday

Mar 5, 2015, 2:25 PM EST

Alan Webb

U.S. mile record holder wants to make the Rio Olympic team in triathlon.

2. Missy Franklin’s dream to become most decorated female swimmer ever

Mar 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EST

AP AP

Franklin will likely need at least two Olympics to pass three U.S. women who share the Olympic medals record.

3. Ronda Rousey says top female fighter Cyborg is ‘a known fraud’

Mar 5, 2015, 12:34 PM EST

AP AP

But the Olympic judo bronze medalist would welcome a fight with Cyborg under certain conditions.

4. Steve Nash: Canada has ‘outside shot’ at Olympic basketball medal

Mar 4, 2015, 9:39 AM EST

Steve Nash Getty Images

But a “50-50″ shot at qualifying for the Olympics this summer.

5. Joakim Noah unlikely for EuroBasket, in doubt for Olympics

Mar 4, 2015, 8:56 AM EST

AP AP

France may have to qualify for Rio with a team led by Tony Parker.

6. Michael Phelps may be reinstated for World Championships, report says

Mar 3, 2015, 10:20 PM EST

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Previously, Phelps and USA Swimming agreed he would withdraw from the World Championships team due to his DUI arrest.

7. David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires

Mar 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EST

David Boudia Getty Images

The Olympic champion competes next week for the first time since July.

8. Pan American Games medals include Braille (photos)

Mar 3, 2015, 11:07 AM EST

Pan American Games medal

How do the versions for Toronto 2015 compare to previous Pan Am Games medals?

9. Fukushima, site of nuclear disaster, wants to host 2020 Olympic baseball

Mar 3, 2015, 10:27 AM EST

Fukushima Getty Images

Even if baseball is re-added to the Olympics, Fukushima might not be a logical choice to host games.

10. England FA hopes to qualify soccer teams for Rio Olympics

Mar 2, 2015, 4:59 PM EST

Team GB Getty Images

Team GB’s men and women were ousted in the 2012 Olympic quarterfinals.

11. Ronda Rousey should scare men’s fighters, Jay Glazer says (video)

Mar 2, 2015, 2:28 PM EST

Ronda Rousey Getty Images

The Olympic judo bronze medalist is compared to a former dominant heavyweight boxer.

12. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown

Mar 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Walsh Jennings also had breakfast with a beach legend in Rio de Janeiro.

13. South Africa 2024 Olympic bid ‘unrealistic,’ official says

Mar 2, 2015, 11:11 AM EST

South Africa flag Getty Images

IOC member and former South Africa Olympic Committee president previously said the nation was readying to bid.

14. Brittany Bowe sweeps at World Sprint Championships (video)

Mar 2, 2015, 10:21 AM EST

AP AP

Bowe skated with dominance not seen since 2003.

15. Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined

Mar 1, 2015, 8:31 AM EST

AP AP

Vonn will get another chance on Monday.

16. Ronda Rousey defends UFC title in 14 seconds

Mar 1, 2015, 12:05 AM EST

Ronda Rousey AP

Rousey is undefeated in 11 pro fights since winning Olympic judo bronze in 2008.