Dec 7, 2012, 12:55 PM EST
After he was unceremoniously left off the British taekwondo team for his hometown London Games, world No. 1 fighter Aaron Cook is making good on his threat to switch national allegiances. He’ll now fight for Isle of Man in upcoming events.
“I was reigning European champion, world No. 1… I am never going to work with [British Taekwondo] again,” Cook told Sky Sports News.
“They have made their minds up with what they have done to me and I’ve made my mind up.”
Cook, who was omitted from the Olympic team in exchange for 59th-ranked Lutalo Muhammad and lost three appeals, explored fighting for the U.S. or France, but decided to remain under the British umbrella in hopes of fighting for Team GB at the Rio Games.
Cook is also excited about new Olympic qualification rules the World Taekwondo Federation is considering.
“All I have got to do is go and win the world championships the European championships and make sure I am top-ranked in the world and I can get there off my own back which we didn’t have in the past.”
“I just wish I could have been on that team. I felt I deserved to be on that team. I’ve got to find some peace and I’ve to go move forward… I can’t wait to be hopefully world champion next year.”
- Katie Ledecky faces decisions in 2015, 2016 0
- Michael Phelps back in the pool; Phelps, Ledecky win Golden Goggles 2
- Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84 1
- Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban 0
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard (video); Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)