Dec 5, 2012, 5:01 PM EST
Four-time Olympic gold medalist Missy Franklin recently revealed to ESPN that heartthrob Justin Bieber nearly ruined her amateur status with a care package he sent her during the Olympics.
“It was really sweet of him,” Missy told ESPN in the issue due out Dec. 10. “But it was considered a form of special treatment that could have jeopardized my amateur status. I’ve given up way too much and sacrificed too much to keep a Justin Bieber T-shirt and lose it all. So I sent it back.”
The phenom is signed up to swim for the back-to-back national champions of Cal Berkeley for about two years before she turns pro in preparation for the Rio Games in 2016.
All is not lost, however: Missy will get to see him live in Denver next month with tickets her friends bought her for her birthday, which will not lead to NCAA sanctions despite the fact that she was the only amateur athlete for whom her friend bought tickets, which no doubt crushed Katie Ledeckey.
And no, we didn’t just add Justin Bieber to the headline for clicks. Although, yes, we also kind of did.
- Shaun White, Kelly Clark headline Dew Tour Olympic qualifying event 1
- Evan Lysacek will not compete at Sochi Olympics (video) 2
- Ted Ligety, Bode Miller go 1-2 in Beaver Creek giant slalom (video) 1
- Lindsey Vonn says she’s ready for Sochi after best comeback result (video) 1
- Jesse Owens’ gold medal goes for $1.4 million in auction 1
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (54)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (45)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (29)
- Vladimir Putin tells critics of Russia at World University Games to ‘try some Viagra’ (18)
- IOC convinced there will be no discrimination at Sochi Olympics (16)