Dec 4, 2012, 7:57 AM EDT
Eight-time major champion Tom Watson said he thinks golf in the Olympics is stupid.
Well, maybe not in those exact words. While prepping for this weekend’s Australian Open in Sydney, Watson said he doesn’t support the return of golf to the Games after a 112-year hiatus.
“I still think of Olympics as track and field and not golf, to be honest with you,” Watson told reporters Tuesday. “I don’t want to pour cold water on it, but I don’t think it should be in the Olympic Games”
Watson added that the four major championships – the Masters, U.S. Open, Open Championship, and PGA Championship – are plenty for the sport, not to mention the Player’s Championship, FedEx Cup, Ryder Cup, and President’s Cup.
Golf was last contested in the Olympics at the 1904 St. Louis Games, but was added to the Rio schedule (along with rugby) during a 2009 IOC vote. Both sports beat out baseball, which is basically the most upsetting thing you can ever tell a high school shortstop.
May 30, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Olympic champions square off in an early season test ahead of the U.S. and World Championships.
May 30, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
The first of two days of rugby sevens action goes to 6 p.m. ET.
May 30, 2015, 6:42 AM EDT
“This competition is not about me.”
May 30, 2015, 6:40 AM EDT
The Diamond League meet continues Saturday on NBC, NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra.
May 29, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
“It was scary, but I was lucky.”
May 29, 2015, 2:42 PM EDT
Kipsang also provided his plan for racing the rest of the year.
May 29, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
The Prefontaine Classic will remember the distance running icon Friday and Saturday.
Dara Torres picks greatest female swimmer(s) of all time, recalls teenage Michael Phelps, more in Q&A
May 28, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Torres’ daughter now swims and looks up her mom’s races on YouTube.
May 28, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
The competition will be live on NBC, NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra on Saturday and Sunday.
May 28, 2015, 9:16 AM EDT
Ross spoke with FIVB about the pair’s prospects for the near future.
May 27, 2015, 4:01 PM EDT
Several of the top U.S. contenders for World Championships medals will be in action.
May 27, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Cain must be in top shape one month from now for the biggest domestic meet of the season.
May 27, 2015, 11:51 AM EDT
Walsh Jennings has a history of shoulder problems.
May 27, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Uhlaender isn’t finished with her sliding career, though.
May 26, 2015, 2:54 PM EDT
Also, Asafa Powell won a 100m race.
May 26, 2015, 8:13 AM EDT
She may change coaches after the World Championships.
May 23, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Nathan Adrian’s biggest rival in the 100m freestyle could still be an Australian.
May 22, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
The 2000 Olympic champion continues to struggle with weight loss.
May 22, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
“We’re not baking cakes.”
May 22, 2015, 9:57 AM EDT
“We want to rebuild the arena of the Colosseum so that the athletes can be lifted in like the gladiators in the Roman times.”
- WATCH LIVE: Prefontaine Classic — 3:30 p.m. ET 0
- WATCH LIVE: Collegiate Rugby Championship — 3 p.m. ET 0
- Dara Torres picks greatest female swimmer(s) of all time, recalls teenage Michael Phelps, more in Q&A 1
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross withdraw from Moscow Grand Slam 0
- Prefontaine Classic preview, schedule, broadcast info 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings injures shoulder, forfeits match 0
- Katie Uhlaender, skeleton World champion, becomes track cyclist 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)