Dec 4, 2012, 2:07 PM EDT
Olympic gold medalist Missy Franklin responded Monday to a Twitter campaign from high schoolers hoping that she and Jets quarterback Tim Tebow would call two teens who were involved in a near fatal car wreck in upstate New York.
Shenendehowa High School students Baily Wind and Matt Hardy were struck and run into the median over the weekend by an alleged drunk driver who was aggressively changing lanes. The Twitter campaigns #MissyCallBaily and #TebowCallMatt spread quickly and eventually the two sports idols responded.
“Called Bailey and left her a voicemail,” Missy tweeted. “Would still love to talk to her. Bailey and her community are in my thoughts and prayers #staystrong”
- Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months 0
- Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards 1
- Analyzing the U.S. gymnastics women’s World Championships team 0
- Shaun White ‘more motivated’ to compete than before Sochi 0
- Lolo Jones eliminated from ‘Dancing with the Stars’ 6
- Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps hope to meet for first time before Olympic farewell 0
- What U.S.’ FIBA World Cup title means for Olympics 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)