Dec 4, 2012, 2:07 PM EDT
Olympic gold medalist Missy Franklin responded Monday to a Twitter campaign from high schoolers hoping that she and Jets quarterback Tim Tebow would call two teens who were involved in a near fatal car wreck in upstate New York.
Shenendehowa High School students Baily Wind and Matt Hardy were struck and run into the median over the weekend by an alleged drunk driver who was aggressively changing lanes. The Twitter campaigns #MissyCallBaily and #TebowCallMatt spread quickly and eventually the two sports idols responded.
“Called Bailey and left her a voicemail,” Missy tweeted. “Would still love to talk to her. Bailey and her community are in my thoughts and prayers #staystrong”
- Queen photobombs Commonwealth Games athlete selfie 0
- Brazil eyes 27 to 30 medals at Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt not happy with Tyson Gay’s reduced ban 1
- Gabby Douglas helps girl’s dream come true with Make-A-Wish 0
- Guide to the Commonwealth Games 0
- 90-plus-year-old men set 3 world relay records at USATF Masters 0
- Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics chief quits 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)