Dec 4, 2012, 10:21 AM EST
The IOC is expected to suspend the Indian Olympic Association Tuesday because of government interference with committee elections that could result in corrupt official Lalit Bhanot taking over as secretary-general, according to Reuters.
The ban would effectively mean that the IOC would cease funding India’s Olympic committee and no Indian athletes would be able to compete in the Games under the Indian flag. India won six medals at this summer’s London Games.
Bhanot is out on bail after being in custody for eleven months following charges of corruption stemming from the 2010 Commonwealth Games held in Delhi. He’s set to win Wednesday’s IOA election unopposed after a rival pulled out at the 11th hour.
The announcement of India’s suspension is expected Tuesday from Lausanne, Switzerland, where the IOC Executive Board is holding its biannual meeting. Indian Sports Minister Jitendra Singh told The Hindu newspaper that the IOC never responded to messages they wrote regarding the issue.
Other things on the IOC agenda: whether Kuwait will also be banned for violating a sports law, whether athletes recently caught doping from the 2004 Games will be sanctioned, and whether Lance Armstrong’s bronze from 2000 will be revoked despite the IOC’s eight-year statute of limitations on changing results.
- Michael Phelps gets probation after guilty plea in DUI case 2
- Stephen Colbert and the Olympics 0
- U.S. will bid for 2024 Olympics, no city chosen yet 6
- Adrian Peterson won’t try for Olympics, but other RBs might 2
- Rio Olympic track and field schedule released 1
- Rome to bid for 2024 Olympics, possible events in Vatican City 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu repeats as Grand Prix Final champion (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)