Dec 4, 2012, 10:21 AM EDT
The IOC is expected to suspend the Indian Olympic Association Tuesday because of government interference with committee elections that could result in corrupt official Lalit Bhanot taking over as secretary-general, according to Reuters.
The ban would effectively mean that the IOC would cease funding India’s Olympic committee and no Indian athletes would be able to compete in the Games under the Indian flag. India won six medals at this summer’s London Games.
Bhanot is out on bail after being in custody for eleven months following charges of corruption stemming from the 2010 Commonwealth Games held in Delhi. He’s set to win Wednesday’s IOA election unopposed after a rival pulled out at the 11th hour.
The announcement of India’s suspension is expected Tuesday from Lausanne, Switzerland, where the IOC Executive Board is holding its biannual meeting. Indian Sports Minister Jitendra Singh told The Hindu newspaper that the IOC never responded to messages they wrote regarding the issue.
Other things on the IOC agenda: whether Kuwait will also be banned for violating a sports law, whether athletes recently caught doping from the 2004 Games will be sanctioned, and whether Lance Armstrong’s bronze from 2000 will be revoked despite the IOC’s eight-year statute of limitations on changing results.
- Gwen Jorgensen wins World Championship in triathlon 0
- How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics 0
- Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton 0
- Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video) 0
- Youth Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo (photos) 0
- U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds 1
- Zurich Diamond League final preview 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)