Lindsey Vonn calls intestinal illness “very scary”

Nov 27, 2012, 1:16 PM EDT

Mitchell Gunn Mitchell Gunn

The fact that gold medal alpine skier Lindsey Vonn finished 21st in Aspen this weekend was already impressive after she spent two nights in a Colorado hospital with severe intestinal pain last week.

Now, after reading about her ordeal in a letter she contributed to the Denver Post, it seems like a miracle the 28-year-old made it up the mountain.

Vonn called the illness “very scary” and candidly explained her fears that she had developed Crohn’s disease. She added that she had to be “super drugged” on morphine and Percocet because of the pain, and noted the difficulty of her slow recovery after getting out of the hospital days before her race.

“I was getting tired walking down the hall of my condo,” wrote Vonn, “let alone walking up a couple stairs. I had to stop every five steps. I felt like I was 100 years old, and I couldn’t even think about skiing.

“Even when I got better, it took me a long time to build back into training. I started just walking on the treadmill for 10 minutes. I was getting lightheaded doing everything.”

Vonn finished by writing that this weekend’s races in Lake Louise, a course often referred to as “Lake Lindsey” because of the 11 titles she’s won there, is an important litmus test for her recovery and her season.

“I honestly don’t know how strong I will be. I think I will be competitive, but I need time to regain my strength, and I don’t know when I’m going to be 100 percent.

“I guess we’ll just have to wait and see, because that’s all I can do.”

Latest Posts
  1. Norway Olympic Committee president to step down

Oct 21, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT

Borre Rognlien Getty Images

Borre Rognlien’s move unrelated to Oslo’s failed bid and threats, according to reports.

2. Oscar Pistorius barred from Rio Paralympics

Oct 21, 2014, 5:37 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Pistorius would not be allowed to run, even if he is out of jail and under correctional supervision.

3. Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison

Oct 21, 2014, 5:18 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Pistorius could serve less than one year in prison.

4. The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record

Oct 20, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT

Mike Powell Getty Images

A look back at the greatest head-to-head duel in track and field history.

5. Bill Demong to run New York City Marathon

Oct 20, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT

Bill Demong Getty Images

Olympic champion hasn’t retired from Nordic combined, either.

6. Bangalore half marathon leaders get lost, forced to take train

Oct 20, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT

Bangalore Marathon Getty Images

“Morning joggers helped us and also guided us to the nearest metro station.”

7. Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale have Olympic 100m final speed, Liverpool manager says

Oct 20, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale Getty Images

How fast would they have to traverse the Bernabeu to have Olympic 100m final speed?

8. Lindsey Vonn still struggles with depression

Oct 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Lindsey Vonn Getty Images

Olympic downhill champion told German magazine she has good days and bad days.

9. Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals

Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Apolo Ohno AP

Ohno said he went into “full warrior mode” in Hawaii.

10. Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos)

Oct 20, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT

ATHLETICS-CHN-MARATHON-BEIJING Getty Images

U.S. Embassy scale had air pollution level at “hazardous.”

11. IOC wants ‘full explanation’ from Russian about ‘Williams brothers’ comments

Oct 20, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT

Shamil Tarpischev Getty Images

Shamil Tarpischev, Russian tennis president, is also a longtime IOC member.

12. Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season

Oct 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

Aksel Lund Svindal Getty Images

How top Americans, Austrian going for history will be affected this World Cup season.

13. Shaun White brings Air & Style event to Rose Bowl

Oct 17, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

Shaun White Getty Images

Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion won’t be competing, though.

14. Michelle Kwan, Sarah Hughes opine on skating to lyrics

Oct 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Michelle Kwan Getty Images

Top U.S. skaters are incorporating new rule into their programs this season.

15. Oscar Pistorius’ sentence expected Tuesday

Oct 17, 2014, 9:41 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Runner faces up to 15 years in prison.

16. Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists

Oct 17, 2014, 6:48 AM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

Gatlin’s inclusion on previous 10-man nomination list drew criticism.

17. Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired

Oct 16, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT

Noelle Pikus-Pace Getty Images

Olympic silver medalist has an interesting post-skeleton bucket list.

18. Simone Biles still buzzing after World Championships whirlwind

Oct 16, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT

Simone Biles Getty Images

Biles recalls bee tale, talks of specific vault upgrade, uneven bars hatred.

19. J.R. Celski not on U.S. short track team for World Cups

Oct 16, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT

J.R. Celski Getty Images

Three-time Olympic medalist previously said he was taking a break.