Lindsey Vonn calls intestinal illness “very scary”

Nov 27, 2012, 1:16 PM EDT

Mitchell Gunn Mitchell Gunn

The fact that gold medal alpine skier Lindsey Vonn finished 21st in Aspen this weekend was already impressive after she spent two nights in a Colorado hospital with severe intestinal pain last week.

Now, after reading about her ordeal in a letter she contributed to the Denver Post, it seems like a miracle the 28-year-old made it up the mountain.

Vonn called the illness “very scary” and candidly explained her fears that she had developed Crohn’s disease. She added that she had to be “super drugged” on morphine and Percocet because of the pain, and noted the difficulty of her slow recovery after getting out of the hospital days before her race.

“I was getting tired walking down the hall of my condo,” wrote Vonn, “let alone walking up a couple stairs. I had to stop every five steps. I felt like I was 100 years old, and I couldn’t even think about skiing.

“Even when I got better, it took me a long time to build back into training. I started just walking on the treadmill for 10 minutes. I was getting lightheaded doing everything.”

Vonn finished by writing that this weekend’s races in Lake Louise, a course often referred to as “Lake Lindsey” because of the 11 titles she’s won there, is an important litmus test for her recovery and her season.

“I honestly don’t know how strong I will be. I think I will be competitive, but I need time to regain my strength, and I don’t know when I’m going to be 100 percent.

“I guess we’ll just have to wait and see, because that’s all I can do.”

Latest Posts
  1. Allyson Felix to run 400m at World Championships

Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT

AP AP

Felix will be absent from the 200m at Worlds for the first time since 2001.

2. Simone Biles turns pro

Jul 29, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT

AP AP

Biles won’t be eligible to compete collegiately.

3. Abby Wambach ‘planning on playing’ in Rio, ‘still need time to decide’

Jul 29, 2015, 1:53 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

It would be tougher for Wambach to make the Rio Olympic team than the 2015 World Cup team.

4. Markus Rehm, German amputee long jumper, left off World Championships team

Jul 29, 2015, 12:19 PM EDT

AP AP

Rehm has the best long jump by a German this year, but he may have a competitive advantage.

5. Inbee Park criticizes Olympic golf qualifying procedures

Jul 29, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

“If you are in the world’s top 50, you should be able to play in the Olympics.”

6. IOC president: Boston 2024 didn’t deliver on promises to USOC

Jul 29, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT

AP AP

“I gave up following [Boston 2024] because it was pretty confusing.”

7. Russia basketball says it’s suspended by FIBA

Jul 29, 2015, 10:28 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Its Olympic qualifying tournament is in less than two months.

8. Yuna Kim: About 90 percent of my career was hardship

Jul 29, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

AP AP

Watch Kim play badminton with Michelle Kwan.

9. No decision made on Bode Miller’s status, agent says

Jul 29, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Miller said June 15 he could ski a partial 2015-16 season, and a report last week cited Miller saying he would take at least one year off.

10. IOC president confident U.S. will still bid for 2024 Olympics

Jul 28, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT

AP AP

One city’s mayor is open to discussions.

11. Jonathan Horton splashes out on American Ninja Warrior (video)

Jul 28, 2015, 11:54 AM EDT

Jonathan Horton

Horton impressively scaled the warped wall, which is about three times his height.

12. Jessica Ennis-Hill will compete at World Championships

Jul 28, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The British Olympic heptathlon champion will compete at a global championship for the first time since the London Games.

13. South Sudan set for Olympic recognition

Jul 28, 2015, 9:14 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

A South Sudanese marathon runner competed under a different flag at London 2012.

14. Haley Anderson makes second Olympic team

Jul 28, 2015, 7:09 AM EDT

AP AP

Her 17-year-old teammate missed out, though, at the World Championships.

15. Phil Dalhausser, Sean Rosenthal split

Jul 27, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

An injury to Dalhausser spelled doom to their partnership.

16. Boston ends bid for 2024 Olympics; USOC wants another city

Jul 27, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Boston 2024

The 2024 bid race is down to four cities.

17. Kerri Walsh Jennings to return at World Series of Beach Volleyball in August

Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The three-time Olympic champion hasn’t played since dislocating a shoulder July 10.

18. Olympic equestrian champ’s ban lifted in horse doping case

Jul 27, 2015, 4:36 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Steve Guerdat’s provisional ban was announced last Tuesday.