Lindsey Vonn calls intestinal illness “very scary”

Nov 27, 2012, 1:16 PM EDT

Mitchell Gunn Mitchell Gunn

The fact that gold medal alpine skier Lindsey Vonn finished 21st in Aspen this weekend was already impressive after she spent two nights in a Colorado hospital with severe intestinal pain last week.

Now, after reading about her ordeal in a letter she contributed to the Denver Post, it seems like a miracle the 28-year-old made it up the mountain.

Vonn called the illness “very scary” and candidly explained her fears that she had developed Crohn’s disease. She added that she had to be “super drugged” on morphine and Percocet because of the pain, and noted the difficulty of her slow recovery after getting out of the hospital days before her race.

“I was getting tired walking down the hall of my condo,” wrote Vonn, “let alone walking up a couple stairs. I had to stop every five steps. I felt like I was 100 years old, and I couldn’t even think about skiing.

“Even when I got better, it took me a long time to build back into training. I started just walking on the treadmill for 10 minutes. I was getting lightheaded doing everything.”

Vonn finished by writing that this weekend’s races in Lake Louise, a course often referred to as “Lake Lindsey” because of the 11 titles she’s won there, is an important litmus test for her recovery and her season.

“I honestly don’t know how strong I will be. I think I will be competitive, but I need time to regain my strength, and I don’t know when I’m going to be 100 percent.

“I guess we’ll just have to wait and see, because that’s all I can do.”

Latest Posts
  1. Australian women break 4x100m free relay world record

Jul 24, 2014, 4:57 PM EDT

Cate Campbell Getty Images

How it impacts the U.S. and potential Olympic history for Missy Franklin.

2. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross clicking ahead of World Series of Beach Volleyball

Jul 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

Kerri Walsh Getty Images

U.S. pair is top seed at biggest tournament in the U.S. this year.

3. Mo Farah withdraws from Commonwealth Games

Jul 24, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT

Mo Farah AP

Lingering illness keeps Olympic, World champion from competing.

4. Queen photobombs Commonwealth Games athlete selfie

Jul 24, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT

Jayde Taylor

Australian field hockey player’s photo goes viral.

5. Japan’s prime minister wants to hold Robot Olympics in 2020

Jul 23, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT

Mideast Iran RoboCup AP

Hopes to create a “robotic revolution.”

6. Brazil eyes 27 to 30 medals at Rio Olympics

Jul 23, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT

2012 Olympic Games - Opening Ceremony Getty Images

Brazil has never won more than 17 medals at an Olympics.

7. USOC to meet with leaders from 2024 Olympic bid candidate cities

Jul 23, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT

USOC logo Getty Images

Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington D.C. in the running.

8. London Olympic cauldron plagiarism dispute settled

Jul 23, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT

London Olympic Cauldron Getty Images

LOCOG acknowledges U.S. firm submitted designs that ended up being part of the cauldron.

9. Stella McCartney to design Rio 2016 uniforms for Great Britain

Jul 23, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT

Stella McCartney Getty Images

Fashion star also created Team GB kits for London 2012.

10. Vin Baker’s gold medal from 2000 Olympics set for auction

Jul 23, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT

Vin Baker Getty Images

Opening bid much higher than final price for another Olympic basketball medal.

11. Usain Bolt not happy with Tyson Gay’s reduced ban

Jul 22, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT

Olympics Day 15 - Athletics Getty Images

“It is sending a bad message,” Bolt said.

12. Gabby Douglas helps girl’s dream come true with Make-A-Wish

Jul 22, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT

Gabby Douglas

Amarissa, 13, is a former gymnast who suffers from lupus.

13. David Boudia ponders a third diving event leading to 2016

Jul 22, 2014, 12:24 PM EDT

David Boudia Getty Images

Olympic champion finished his season in Shanghai last week.

14. Guide to the Commonwealth Games

Jul 22, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

Top sprinters from Jamaica, swimmers from Australia and more gather in Glasgow.

15. First Olympic golf qualification rankings released

Jul 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT

Rory McIlroy AP

U.S. stars would not make the Olympic field if it was determined today.

16. Big 12 commissioner says men’s Olympic sports could be cut

Jul 21, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT

Bob Bowlsby AP

NCAA’s current lawsuits may cut funding.

17. Dutch cyclist cheats death twice, avoids both Malaysian Airlines flights

Jul 21, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT

Maarten de Jonge `

“It’s inconceivable,” Maarten de Jonge said.