Lindsey Vonn calls intestinal illness “very scary”

Nov 27, 2012, 1:16 PM EDT

Mitchell Gunn Mitchell Gunn

The fact that gold medal alpine skier Lindsey Vonn finished 21st in Aspen this weekend was already impressive after she spent two nights in a Colorado hospital with severe intestinal pain last week.

Now, after reading about her ordeal in a letter she contributed to the Denver Post, it seems like a miracle the 28-year-old made it up the mountain.

Vonn called the illness “very scary” and candidly explained her fears that she had developed Crohn’s disease. She added that she had to be “super drugged” on morphine and Percocet because of the pain, and noted the difficulty of her slow recovery after getting out of the hospital days before her race.

“I was getting tired walking down the hall of my condo,” wrote Vonn, “let alone walking up a couple stairs. I had to stop every five steps. I felt like I was 100 years old, and I couldn’t even think about skiing.

“Even when I got better, it took me a long time to build back into training. I started just walking on the treadmill for 10 minutes. I was getting lightheaded doing everything.”

Vonn finished by writing that this weekend’s races in Lake Louise, a course often referred to as “Lake Lindsey” because of the 11 titles she’s won there, is an important litmus test for her recovery and her season.

“I honestly don’t know how strong I will be. I think I will be competitive, but I need time to regain my strength, and I don’t know when I’m going to be 100 percent.

“I guess we’ll just have to wait and see, because that’s all I can do.”

Latest Posts
  1. Katie Ledecky entered in mixed-gender races this weekend

Oct 31, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT

Katie Ledecky Getty Images

Ledecky, and other women, are entered in mixed-gender distance races in Delaware.

2. Javier Fernandez leads at Skate Canada; surprise American scores

Oct 31, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT

Javier Fernandez Getty Images

The top U.S. man on Friday finished 10th at the U.S. Championships in January.

3. Boston, Chicago Marathon winner Rita Jeptoo fails drug test

Oct 31, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT

Rita Jeptoo Getty Images

The Kenyan won four straight World Marathon Majors.

4. Neymar will be on Brazil’s Olympic soccer team, coach says

Oct 31, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT

Neymar Getty Images

But Neymar’s status for Rio 2016 is still very much in question.

5. Meb Keflezighi in familiar spot as New York City Marathon underdog

Oct 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT

Meb Keflezighi AP

Keflezighi faces tough odds to win Sunday, just as in Boston.

6. USA Swimming names World Championships roster without Michael Phelps

Oct 30, 2014, 2:23 PM EDT

Ryan Lochte Getty Images

The U.S. roster includes zero men who had the fastest time in the world this year in an Olympic event.

7. Yuna Kim named Pyeongchang 2018 Olympic honorary ambassador

Oct 30, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT

Yuna Kim Getty Images

Figure skating champion joins MLB outfielder, ballerina.

8. Matt Anderson taking break from volleyball due to depression

Oct 29, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT

Matt Anderson

Anderson is the two-time reigning USA Volleyball Player of the Year.

9. Caroline Wozniacki nervous for New York City Marathon, even in her dreams

Oct 29, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT

Caroline Wozniacki Getty Images

Tennis player flew from Singapore to Denmark to New York this week.

10. Fire inside London Olympic Stadium (photos)

Oct 29, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT

Olympic Stadium

Rising black smoke caused brief panic, but the fire was quickly put out.

11. Shani Davis leads U.S. speed skating team for fall World Cups

Oct 29, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT

Shani Davis Getty Images

One of the U.S.’ strongest skaters from last season is not on the team.

12. Paralympic skier Josh Sundquist a foosball player for Halloween

Oct 28, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT

Josh Sundquist

Sundquist was a partially eaten gingerbread man, a leg lamp and a flamingo in recent years.

13. Germany will bid for 2024 Olympics

Oct 28, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT

Germany flag Getty Images

Either Berlin or Hamburg will be chosen in March.

14. Boston 2024 unveils new website, promo video

Oct 28, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT

Boston 2024

Those against Boston hosting an Olympics sent a letter to the USOC.