Lindsey Vonn finishes 21st in Aspen giant slalom

Nov 24, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT

AP Photo/ Nathan Bilow AP Photo/ Nathan Bilow

Vancouver downhill gold medalist Lindsey Vonn was sitting tenth in Aspen after her first giant slalom run of the world cup season, but didn’t have anything left in the tank for her second trip down the mountain after spending two nights in a Vail, Colo. hospital with “severe intestinal pain” earlier this week. She finished a distant 21st.

“I didn’t have the energy I needed to really be competitive,” Vonn told the AP. “It’s been a real fight to even be able to race today. I didn’t have it. I’m a competitor. This isn’t exactly the kind of result I was hoping for. But I have to still keep things in perspective and realize that I was very sick just a few days ago. I’m just happy to be racing again.”

It was the first time Vonn had made it down the giant slalom course without stopping to rest. The four time world champ also earned her first point of the World Cup season Saturday, but will skip the slalom competition on Sunday to conserve her energy and fully recover.

“Eventually, on a course like this, it’s all going to catch up with you,” added Vonn. “Your whole body is going to shut down at some point. I just have to stay positive and keep building.”

Instead Slovenian Tina Maze, who won the giant slalom season opener in Austria last month, took home her second world title of the year Saturday,  clocking a two-run time of 1:59.39 to hold off Austria’s Kathrin Zettel and Germany’s Viktoria Rebensburg for the victory.

Latest Posts
  1. Phil Dalhausser, Sean Rosenthal split

Jul 27, 2015, 11:28 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

An injury to Dalhausser spelled doom to their partnership.

2. Boston ends bid for 2024 Olympics; USOC wants another city

Jul 27, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Boston 2024

The 2024 bid race is down to four cities.

3. Kerri Walsh Jennings to return at World Series of Beach Volleyball in August

Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The three-time Olympic champion hasn’t played since dislocating a shoulder July 10.

4. Olympic equestrian champ’s ban lifted in horse doping case

Jul 27, 2015, 4:36 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Steve Guerdat’s provisional ban was announced last Tuesday.

5. Boston mayor: Olympic bid won’t go forward if forced to sign contract today

Jul 27, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT

Boston 2024

Public support in Boston and Massachusetts has been less than 50 percent for months.

6. Nike makes Ashton Eaton a ‘cooling hood’

Jul 27, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT

Nike Cooling Mask Nike

“Why does it feel good, after running, to pour a bottle of water over your head?”

7. Can Tour de France stars contend for medals at 2016 Olympics?

Jul 27, 2015, 8:48 AM EDT

AP AP

The Rio Games open less than two weeks after the 2016 Tour de France ends.

8. U.S. women dominate en route to FIVB World Grand Prix title

Jul 27, 2015, 8:18 AM EDT

AP AP

The U.S. can achieve an Olympic first in Rio de Janeiro next year.

9. Bill May becomes first man to win World Synchronized Swimming Championship

Jul 27, 2015, 7:36 AM EDT

AP AP

May is a 36-year-old Cirque du Soleil performer who came out of a 10-year retirement.

10. Neymar: I told Barcelona I want to play in Rio Olympics

Jul 26, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Brazil’s coach has said Neymar’s Olympic participation is dependent on talks with Barcelona.

11. Michael Phelps: I’ve looked at my 22 medals together once or twice

Jul 26, 2015, 2:34 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

More highlights from Phelps’ Q&A at the Doha Goals Forum.

12. Simone Biles routs Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman at Secret Classic

Jul 25, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT

AP AP

Next up are the P&G Championships in three weeks.

13. Jennifer Wu makes 2016 U.S. Olympic team in table tennis

Jul 25, 2015, 7:06 PM EDT

AP AP

Wu is the second athlete to make the 2016 U.S. Olympic team across all sports.

14. Simone Biles as powerful as male gymnasts, Jonathan Horton says

Jul 25, 2015, 7:43 AM EDT

AP AP

“She is as dominant as any athlete in any sport,” USA Gymnastics president Steve Penny said.

15. Shawn Johnson engaged after throwing first pitch (video)

Jul 24, 2015, 7:09 PM EDT

Shawn Johnson, Andrew East

Johnson is at least the fourth member of the 2008 U.S. Olympic women’s gymnastics team to get engaged.

16. Usain Bolt returns with quick 100m wins in London

Jul 24, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT

AP AP

Less than a month until a showdown with Justin Gatlin at the World Championships.

17. Claressa Shields: I would fight Ronda Rousey

Jul 24, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

“I know for a fact I would beat her in boxing. That’s simple. But MMA?”

18. Tokyo 2020 Olympic emblem revealed

Jul 24, 2015, 9:26 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The emblem is based on three words.