U.S. swimmers are thankful for ‘everything’

Nov 22, 2012, 5:00 AM EST

NBC NBC

What are you thankful for?

That’s what we asked some of the athletes walking the red carpet at USA Swimming’s Golden Goggle Awards earlier this week. Here are their answers:

Chloe Sutton
I’m thankful for my family and how close I am with my family. I’m happy for my brother having an amazing football season and for him getting a scholarship next year at Colorado so I can continue to watch him play because that’s my favorite thing to do. I’m thankful for my amazing teammates, I was lucky enough to bring one of them with me tonight. They’ve really helped keep swimming fun for me and keep me excelling in my career this far into it.

Tyler Clary
After [winning the 200m backstroke gold medal], that was just icing on the cake. I was so happy after being sick at Trials and having that little a time between Trials and the Olympics to get restarted and back into position where I could lay down a good time.

Eric Shanteau
It sounds cheesy, but I’m thankful for my health. I can say that because I know what it’s like not to have it. Going through what I went through this year, coming home with the gold medal and understanding and realizing what I went through four years ago [cancer] just makes it all that much more sweet.

Lia Neal
Definitely thankful for all the people that I have in my life. I can’t complain; it’s been awesome.

Ryan Lochte
Having my friends and family. They’re my biggest supporters and you know what? They’ve given me so much support throughout my whole entire life and I owe it to them.

Missy Franklin
Oh my gosh. Everything. I do not have a single thing in my life that I shouldn’t be thankful for.

Jessica Hardy
Having the heartbreak, comparing it to that and how sad I was in ’08, this is the complete opposite this year and I’m just ecstatic about everything. Seriously I haven’t stopped smiling since [Olympic Trials]. The whole experience was a blessing and an amazing dream come true. Tonight is the cherry on the cake, just getting to come to [Golden Goggles] and being nominated is unbelievable. I’m really grateful for everything.

Nathan Adrian
I’m thankful for my health. I’ve been relatively injury-free and very disease free, so it’s been good.

Latest Posts
  1. NBC Sports, Universal to air unprecedented U.S. ski, snowboard coverage this season

Nov 26, 2014, 1:06 PM EST

Ted Ligety Getty Images

Full schedule of coverage across World Cups, Grand Prix events and World Championships.

2. U.S. figure skaters officially bronze medalists, 50 years later

Nov 26, 2014, 7:42 AM EST

Vivian Joseph, Ronald Joseph Getty Images

Sister-brother team had bronze medals, but the official results didn’t reflect that until Tuesday.

3. Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman back on USA Gymnastics national team

Nov 25, 2014, 1:19 PM EST

Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman Getty Images

Neither has competed since the London Olympics.

4. Katie Ledecky faces decisions in 2015, 2016

Nov 25, 2014, 10:46 AM EST

Katie Ledecky Getty Images

Scheduling conflicts, another new event?

5. Rio Olympic commemorative coins to be issued

Nov 25, 2014, 9:27 AM EST

Rio Olympic coins

Christ the Redeemer, Olympic motto honored on the coins.

6. Michael Phelps back in the pool; Phelps, Ledecky win Golden Goggles

Nov 24, 2014, 10:23 PM EST

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps is working toward 2015 goals, a North Baltimore official said.

7. Pat Quinn, who coached Canada to gold in 2002, dies at 71

Nov 24, 2014, 11:25 AM EST

Pat Quinn Getty Images

Canada won its first men’s hockey Olympic gold in 50 years under Quinn.

8. Claressa Shields, Marlen Esparza win World Boxing Championships

Nov 24, 2014, 10:11 AM EST

Claressa Shields Getty Images

Olympic champion Shields was named the tournament’s best overall boxer.

9. Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84

Nov 24, 2014, 9:17 AM EST

Viktor Tikhonov Getty Images

Tikhonov led the Soviets in the Miracle on Ice game.

10. Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban

Nov 24, 2014, 8:42 AM EST

Sun Yang Getty Images

Sun tested positive for a substance he could have used legally if he filed paperwork with anti-doping officials.

11. Ted Ligety expected back shortly after wrist injury (video)

Nov 23, 2014, 8:38 PM EST

Ted Ligety

Video of how he suffered the injury was posted on Ligety’s social media.

12. Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard (video); Grand Prix Final picture

Nov 22, 2014, 4:24 PM EST

Maksim Kovtun Getty Images

It’s unlikely a U.S. man will qualify for the Grand Prix Final.

13. Renaud Lavillenie, Valerie Adams win IAAF Athlete of the Year awards

Nov 21, 2014, 3:10 PM EST

Renaud Lavillenie Getty Images

This year’s winners came from unprecedented nations and events.

14. Ashley Wagner trails, Denis Ten leads at Trophee Bompard (video)

Nov 21, 2014, 2:24 PM EST

Ashley Wagner AP

Wagner could match a Michelle Kwan feat at the French event.

15. Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed

Nov 21, 2014, 8:59 AM EST

Angelina Jolie, Louis Zamperini AP

“Unbroken” film about Olympian and World War II hero comes out on Christmas.

16. Table tennis player shoves over referee after loss (video)

Nov 20, 2014, 5:34 PM EST

Table Tennis

Young Dmitry Melnichenko lost the match, then lost his cool.

17. Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics

Nov 20, 2014, 4:57 PM EST

Joss Christensen Getty Images

Olympic ski slopestyle champion uses a chainsaw every day.