U.S. swimmers are thankful for ‘everything’

Nov 22, 2012, 5:00 AM EDT

NBC NBC

What are you thankful for?

That’s what we asked some of the athletes walking the red carpet at USA Swimming’s Golden Goggle Awards earlier this week. Here are their answers:

Chloe Sutton
I’m thankful for my family and how close I am with my family. I’m happy for my brother having an amazing football season and for him getting a scholarship next year at Colorado so I can continue to watch him play because that’s my favorite thing to do. I’m thankful for my amazing teammates, I was lucky enough to bring one of them with me tonight. They’ve really helped keep swimming fun for me and keep me excelling in my career this far into it.

Tyler Clary
After [winning the 200m backstroke gold medal], that was just icing on the cake. I was so happy after being sick at Trials and having that little a time between Trials and the Olympics to get restarted and back into position where I could lay down a good time.

Eric Shanteau
It sounds cheesy, but I’m thankful for my health. I can say that because I know what it’s like not to have it. Going through what I went through this year, coming home with the gold medal and understanding and realizing what I went through four years ago [cancer] just makes it all that much more sweet.

Lia Neal
Definitely thankful for all the people that I have in my life. I can’t complain; it’s been awesome.

Ryan Lochte
Having my friends and family. They’re my biggest supporters and you know what? They’ve given me so much support throughout my whole entire life and I owe it to them.

Missy Franklin
Oh my gosh. Everything. I do not have a single thing in my life that I shouldn’t be thankful for.

Jessica Hardy
Having the heartbreak, comparing it to that and how sad I was in ’08, this is the complete opposite this year and I’m just ecstatic about everything. Seriously I haven’t stopped smiling since [Olympic Trials]. The whole experience was a blessing and an amazing dream come true. Tonight is the cherry on the cake, just getting to come to [Golden Goggles] and being nominated is unbelievable. I’m really grateful for everything.

Nathan Adrian
I’m thankful for my health. I’ve been relatively injury-free and very disease free, so it’s been good.

Latest Posts
  1. Rio Olympic Village more than 50 percent complete

Sep 18, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT

Rio Olympic Village

Work expected to finish in the first half of 2016.

2. Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards

Sep 18, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

NBC Olympics analyst hands out athlete of the year honors and more.

3. Yelena Isinbayeva set to return to pole vault training, report says

Sep 18, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Yelena Isinbayeva Getty Images

Russian Olympic champion gave birth to daughter in June.

4. Analyzing the U.S. gymnastics women’s World Championships team

Sep 18, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Simone Biles, Kyla Ross Getty Images

Can U.S. win second straight team title despite injuries, absences?

5. Edmonton Oilers hire Olympic pairs champion as skating coach

Sep 17, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT

David Pelletier Getty Images

Canadian from memorable 2002 Olympic pairs competition to coach NHL players.

6. Kaitlyn Farrington, Olympic halfpipe champ, eyes slopestyle at Dew Tour

Sep 17, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT

Kaitlyn Farrington Getty Images

Olympic halfpipe champion is focused on two competitions this season.

7. Curling sculpture unveiled at Olympic Museum (photos)

Sep 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Curling statue

Curling is the first Winter Olympic sport to have a sculpture in the Olympic Museum park.

8. Paula Radcliffe set for first race since pulling out of London Olympics

Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT

Paula Radcliffe Getty Images

World record holder, now 40, could enter two more major marathons.

9. Hicham El Guerrouj, King of the Mile, could still run fast at 40

Sep 17, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT

Hicham El Guerrouj Getty Images

Two-time Olympic champion runs five or six times per week.

10. Shaun White ‘more motivated’ to compete than before Sochi

Sep 17, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Shaun White Getty Images

Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion “more poised” for slopestyle success in 2018.

11. Lolo Jones eliminated from ‘Dancing with the Stars’

Sep 17, 2014, 8:41 AM EDT

Lolo Jones Getty Images

Jones posted she had “flashbacks of the three Olympics and that people constantly tease me about.”

12. Rio Olympic ticket prices start at about $20 in Brazil

Sep 16, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT

Rio 2016

More than 7.5 million tickets will be available for the Games.

13. Kohei Uchimura’s mother competes in gymnastics meet

Sep 16, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT

Kohei Uchimura Getty Images

Shuko Uchimura hadn’t competed in some 30 years, according to Japanese report.

14. Boston’s potential advantage in 2024 Olympic bid race

Sep 16, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT

Boston Getty Images

“The city is the Olympic park,” official tells Boston Globe.

15. Paralympic president clarifies Pistorius stance, looks to Rio

Sep 15, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT

Oscar Pistorius, Alan Oliveira Getty Images

IPC president Sir Philip Craven looks ahead to an anniversary and a new frontier for the Paralympics.

16. Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps hope to meet for first time before Olympic farewell

Sep 15, 2014, 2:36 PM EDT

Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps Getty Images

The greatest Olympians of this generation discuss thoughts on one another.

17. U.S. men’s volleyball team eliminated at World Championships

Sep 15, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT

USA Volleyball Getty Images

U.S. bounced in Poland with five-set loss to Argentina.