U.S. swimmers are thankful for ‘everything’

Nov 22, 2012, 5:00 AM EST

NBC NBC

What are you thankful for?

That’s what we asked some of the athletes walking the red carpet at USA Swimming’s Golden Goggle Awards earlier this week. Here are their answers:

Chloe Sutton
I’m thankful for my family and how close I am with my family. I’m happy for my brother having an amazing football season and for him getting a scholarship next year at Colorado so I can continue to watch him play because that’s my favorite thing to do. I’m thankful for my amazing teammates, I was lucky enough to bring one of them with me tonight. They’ve really helped keep swimming fun for me and keep me excelling in my career this far into it.

Tyler Clary
After [winning the 200m backstroke gold medal], that was just icing on the cake. I was so happy after being sick at Trials and having that little a time between Trials and the Olympics to get restarted and back into position where I could lay down a good time.

Eric Shanteau
It sounds cheesy, but I’m thankful for my health. I can say that because I know what it’s like not to have it. Going through what I went through this year, coming home with the gold medal and understanding and realizing what I went through four years ago [cancer] just makes it all that much more sweet.

Lia Neal
Definitely thankful for all the people that I have in my life. I can’t complain; it’s been awesome.

Ryan Lochte
Having my friends and family. They’re my biggest supporters and you know what? They’ve given me so much support throughout my whole entire life and I owe it to them.

Missy Franklin
Oh my gosh. Everything. I do not have a single thing in my life that I shouldn’t be thankful for.

Jessica Hardy
Having the heartbreak, comparing it to that and how sad I was in ’08, this is the complete opposite this year and I’m just ecstatic about everything. Seriously I haven’t stopped smiling since [Olympic Trials]. The whole experience was a blessing and an amazing dream come true. Tonight is the cherry on the cake, just getting to come to [Golden Goggles] and being nominated is unbelievable. I’m really grateful for everything.

Nathan Adrian
I’m thankful for my health. I’ve been relatively injury-free and very disease free, so it’s been good.

Latest Posts
  1. England FA hopes to qualify soccer teams for Rio Olympics

Mar 2, 2015, 4:59 PM EST

Team GB Getty Images

Team GB’s men and women were ousted in the 2012 Olympic quarterfinals.

2. Ronda Rousey should scare men’s fighters, Jay Glazer says (video)

Mar 2, 2015, 2:28 PM EST

Ronda Rousey Getty Images

The Olympic judo bronze medalist is compared to a former dominant heavyweight boxer.

3. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown

Mar 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Walsh Jennings also had breakfast with a beach legend in Rio de Janeiro.

4. South Africa 2024 Olympic bid ‘unrealistic,’ official says

Mar 2, 2015, 11:11 AM EST

South Africa flag Getty Images

IOC member and former South Africa Olympic Committee president previously said the nation was readying to bid.

5. Brittany Bowe sweeps at World Sprint Championships (video)

Mar 2, 2015, 10:21 AM EST

AP AP

Bowe skated with dominance not seen since 2003.

6. Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined

Mar 1, 2015, 8:31 AM EST

AP AP

Vonn will get another chance on Monday.

7. Ronda Rousey defends UFC title in 14 seconds

Mar 1, 2015, 12:05 AM EST

Ronda Rousey AP

Rousey is undefeated in 11 pro fights since winning Olympic judo bronze in 2008.

8. Elana Meyers Taylor wins historic bobsled World Championship (video)

Feb 28, 2015, 10:03 AM EST

Elana Meyers Taylor Getty Images

Meyers Taylor improved from silver medals at the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics.

9. Watch Rio Olympic Park transformation, timelapse videos

Feb 27, 2015, 3:55 PM EST

Rio Olympic Park

Rio government organization published two videos looking at the construction of Olympic Park.

10. Tour de France winner Vincenzo Nibali’s team may lose license

Feb 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EST

AP AP

Nibali might not be able to defend his Tour de France title as an Astana rider.

11. World’s most athletic couple takes the next leap

Feb 27, 2015, 12:52 PM EST

Ashton Eaton, Brianne Theisen Eaton AP

Ashton Eaton, Brianne Theisen-Eaton are taking different paths to potential gold in Rio.

12. IOC executive board proposes rule change for athletes, sponsors during Olympics

Feb 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EST

Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE

“Athletes have wanted this changed for a very long time. It’s been a very long discussion.”

13. Is Simone Biles unbeatable?

Feb 26, 2015, 4:48 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

U.S. Olympic legend said yes. Top U.S. gymnast says no.

14. Elana Meyers Taylor in line for history at bobsled World Championships

Feb 26, 2015, 10:48 AM EST

Elana Meyers Taylor Getty Images

Meanwhile, the Olympic champion is well back in Winterberg.

15. Bernard Lagat cancels farewell tour with Rio in mind

Feb 25, 2015, 3:34 PM EST

AP AP

“Would I really slow down that much that I wouldn’t make the (Olympic) team? I don’t think so.”

16. Duel in the Pool returns to U.S.

Feb 25, 2015, 12:17 PM EST

Duel in the Pool Getty Images

The U.S. is undefeated in six editions of the Ryder Cup-style event.

17. Rio Olympics could have multiple cauldrons

Feb 25, 2015, 10:37 AM EST

Pan American Games cauldron Getty Images

The Opening and Closing ceremonies will be held at a venue separate from the Olympic Stadium for track and field.