U.S. swimmers are thankful for ‘everything’

Nov 22, 2012, 5:00 AM EDT

NBC NBC

What are you thankful for?

That’s what we asked some of the athletes walking the red carpet at USA Swimming’s Golden Goggle Awards earlier this week. Here are their answers:

Chloe Sutton
I’m thankful for my family and how close I am with my family. I’m happy for my brother having an amazing football season and for him getting a scholarship next year at Colorado so I can continue to watch him play because that’s my favorite thing to do. I’m thankful for my amazing teammates, I was lucky enough to bring one of them with me tonight. They’ve really helped keep swimming fun for me and keep me excelling in my career this far into it.

Tyler Clary
After [winning the 200m backstroke gold medal], that was just icing on the cake. I was so happy after being sick at Trials and having that little a time between Trials and the Olympics to get restarted and back into position where I could lay down a good time.

Eric Shanteau
It sounds cheesy, but I’m thankful for my health. I can say that because I know what it’s like not to have it. Going through what I went through this year, coming home with the gold medal and understanding and realizing what I went through four years ago [cancer] just makes it all that much more sweet.

Lia Neal
Definitely thankful for all the people that I have in my life. I can’t complain; it’s been awesome.

Ryan Lochte
Having my friends and family. They’re my biggest supporters and you know what? They’ve given me so much support throughout my whole entire life and I owe it to them.

Missy Franklin
Oh my gosh. Everything. I do not have a single thing in my life that I shouldn’t be thankful for.

Jessica Hardy
Having the heartbreak, comparing it to that and how sad I was in ’08, this is the complete opposite this year and I’m just ecstatic about everything. Seriously I haven’t stopped smiling since [Olympic Trials]. The whole experience was a blessing and an amazing dream come true. Tonight is the cherry on the cake, just getting to come to [Golden Goggles] and being nominated is unbelievable. I’m really grateful for everything.

Nathan Adrian
I’m thankful for my health. I’ve been relatively injury-free and very disease free, so it’s been good.

Latest Posts
  1. Norway Olympic Committee president to step down

Oct 21, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT

Borre Rognlien Getty Images

Borre Rognlien’s move unrelated to Oslo’s failed bid and threats, according to reports.

2. Oscar Pistorius barred from Rio Paralympics

Oct 21, 2014, 5:37 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Pistorius would not be allowed to run, even if he is out of jail and under correctional supervision.

3. Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison

Oct 21, 2014, 5:18 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Pistorius could serve less than one year in prison.

4. The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record

Oct 20, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT

Mike Powell Getty Images

A look back at the greatest head-to-head duel in track and field history.

5. Bill Demong to run New York City Marathon

Oct 20, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT

Bill Demong Getty Images

Olympic champion hasn’t retired from Nordic combined, either.

6. Bangalore half marathon leaders get lost, forced to take train

Oct 20, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT

Bangalore Marathon Getty Images

“Morning joggers helped us and also guided us to the nearest metro station.”

7. Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale have Olympic 100m final speed, Liverpool manager says

Oct 20, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale Getty Images

How fast would they have to traverse the Bernabeu to have Olympic 100m final speed?

8. Lindsey Vonn still struggles with depression

Oct 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Lindsey Vonn Getty Images

Olympic downhill champion told German magazine she has good days and bad days.

9. Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals

Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Apolo Ohno AP

Ohno said he went into “full warrior mode” in Hawaii.

10. Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos)

Oct 20, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT

ATHLETICS-CHN-MARATHON-BEIJING Getty Images

U.S. Embassy scale had air pollution level at “hazardous.”

11. IOC wants ‘full explanation’ from Russian about ‘Williams brothers’ comments

Oct 20, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT

Shamil Tarpischev Getty Images

Shamil Tarpischev, Russian tennis president, is also a longtime IOC member.

12. Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season

Oct 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

Aksel Lund Svindal Getty Images

How top Americans, Austrian going for history will be affected this World Cup season.

13. Shaun White brings Air & Style event to Rose Bowl

Oct 17, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

Shaun White Getty Images

Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion won’t be competing, though.

14. Michelle Kwan, Sarah Hughes opine on skating to lyrics

Oct 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Michelle Kwan Getty Images

Top U.S. skaters are incorporating new rule into their programs this season.

15. Oscar Pistorius’ sentence expected Tuesday

Oct 17, 2014, 9:41 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius Getty Images

Runner faces up to 15 years in prison.

16. Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists

Oct 17, 2014, 6:48 AM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

Gatlin’s inclusion on previous 10-man nomination list drew criticism.

17. Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired

Oct 16, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT

Noelle Pikus-Pace Getty Images

Olympic silver medalist has an interesting post-skeleton bucket list.

18. Simone Biles still buzzing after World Championships whirlwind

Oct 16, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT

Simone Biles Getty Images

Biles recalls bee tale, talks of specific vault upgrade, uneven bars hatred.

19. J.R. Celski not on U.S. short track team for World Cups

Oct 16, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT

J.R. Celski Getty Images

Three-time Olympic medalist previously said he was taking a break.