Nov 22, 2012, 5:00 AM EST
What are you thankful for?
That’s what we asked some of the athletes walking the red carpet at USA Swimming’s Golden Goggle Awards earlier this week. Here are their answers:
I’m thankful for my family and how close I am with my family. I’m happy for my brother having an amazing football season and for him getting a scholarship next year at Colorado so I can continue to watch him play because that’s my favorite thing to do. I’m thankful for my amazing teammates, I was lucky enough to bring one of them with me tonight. They’ve really helped keep swimming fun for me and keep me excelling in my career this far into it.
After [winning the 200m backstroke gold medal], that was just icing on the cake. I was so happy after being sick at Trials and having that little a time between Trials and the Olympics to get restarted and back into position where I could lay down a good time.
It sounds cheesy, but I’m thankful for my health. I can say that because I know what it’s like not to have it. Going through what I went through this year, coming home with the gold medal and understanding and realizing what I went through four years ago [cancer] just makes it all that much more sweet.
Definitely thankful for all the people that I have in my life. I can’t complain; it’s been awesome.
Having my friends and family. They’re my biggest supporters and you know what? They’ve given me so much support throughout my whole entire life and I owe it to them.
Oh my gosh. Everything. I do not have a single thing in my life that I shouldn’t be thankful for.
Having the heartbreak, comparing it to that and how sad I was in ’08, this is the complete opposite this year and I’m just ecstatic about everything. Seriously I haven’t stopped smiling since [Olympic Trials]. The whole experience was a blessing and an amazing dream come true. Tonight is the cherry on the cake, just getting to come to [Golden Goggles] and being nominated is unbelievable. I’m really grateful for everything.
I’m thankful for my health. I’ve been relatively injury-free and very disease free, so it’s been good.
- Shaun White, Kelly Clark headline Dew Tour Olympic qualifying event 0
- Evan Lysacek will not compete at Sochi Olympics (video) 1
- Ted Ligety, Bode Miller go 1-2 in Beaver Creek giant slalom (video) 1
- Lindsey Vonn says she’s ready for Sochi after best comeback result (video) 1
- Jesse Owens’ gold medal goes for $1.4 million in auction 1
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (54)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (45)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (29)
- Vladimir Putin tells critics of Russia at World University Games to ‘try some Viagra’ (18)
- IOC convinced there will be no discrimination at Sochi Olympics (16)