Nov 21, 2012, 10:23 AM EST
One would hope that we as a general population have been convinced to stop doing stupid things at sporting events, but Ashley Gill-Webb allegedly threw a plastic beer bottle on the Olympic track in London mere seconds before the men’s 100m final back in August, and now we have to start over.
Gill-Webb, 34, was arrested from his seat after the incident, likely to save him from any retribution from the fans, which included Dutch judo athlete Edith Bosch sitting directly behind him.
But the alleged tosser pleaded not guilty Wednesday to the charges of using threatening words or behavior with intent to cause harassment, alarm, or distress, and will stand trial on Jan. 3 in Stratford, east London, near the stadium.
And while his actions likely had no effect on the race – Usain Bolt, who won, said he didn’t notice. Bronze medalist Justin Gatlin noted a brief distraction, but still ran a lifetime best – let us at OlympicTalk urge you once again: please do not throw things on any tracks, fields, courts, or other playing surfaces.
It does not make you cool and it’s already the reason we have to drink beer out of plastic, instead of the much-preferred glass bottle. And pretty soon we’ll have no beer at all, thanks to guys named Ashley.
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 0
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)