Nov 15, 2012, 6:40 PM EDT
OMG, guys! OMG!
Recently reelected President Barack Obama welcomed London’s Fierce Five (or ‘Gym Rats’) to the White House Thursday for a quick meeting in the Oval Office. Then the girls had their hair blown back as they, and other members of the U.S. gymnastics team, watched him lift off in Marine One.
Gabby Douglas, McKayla Maroney, Jordyn Wieber, Aly Raisman, and Kyla Ross, who became only the second group of American gymnastics to win Olympic team gold, got a special audience with the President because they weren’t able to join Team USA for the earlier reception.
Maroney, known for her dour glare after finishing with a silver in the London vault, tried to fake her famous unimpressed face, but couldn’t hold back her smile. Look up: we have proof. The girls also signed leotards for President Obama’s daughters, First Fans Sasha and Malia, while they were hanging out.
- Missy Franklin returns to Colorado, coach Todd Schmitz 0
- Rulon Gardner on returning to wrestling training, getting his gold medal back 1
- David Letterman and the Olympics 0
- Caster Semenya: I can’t stop running because of gender controversy 0
- Roger Bannister’s shoes from 4-minute mile set for auction 2
- Justin Gatlin ‘kicked out’ of Beijing track meet 1
- Michael Phelps self-assessment: ‘horrendous,’ ‘garbage’ after winless Charlotte meet 5
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)