Nov 15, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Running a sub-30-minute 10k is world class for anyone. Running that same time as the third leg of the Olympic triathlon is something otherworldly, which is why London gold medal triathlete Alistair Brownlee thinks he might be able to compete in the open event at the next Commonwealth Games.
“I wasn’t far off [gold medalist Mo Farah’s time], but it is still hundreds of miles away in terms of making that time up,” Brownlee told BBC Sport. “But I would love to give it a go. Over the next few years, if anything gives me a chance to try some different things, new challenges, [I'd be keen to try them].”
Brownlee would have finished only 97 seconds behind his British teammate Farah in the 10000m and thinks he could be competitive if he focused on the event, but added that he won’t abandon the triathlon just because he’s won Olympic gold.
“I want to try do some 10km races on the road and see how that goes, but definitely, I’m a triathlete through and through and that is always going to be my priority.”
Maybe most importantly, the 24-year-old said he plans to defend his Olympic title in Rio, and hopes he and his brother Jonny, who took the bronze in London, can finish 1-2 this time. We’re almost certain Jonny agrees, but would like to see the final positions reversed.
- Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months 0
- Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards 1
- Analyzing the U.S. gymnastics women’s World Championships team 0
- Shaun White ‘more motivated’ to compete than before Sochi 0
- Lolo Jones eliminated from ‘Dancing with the Stars’ 6
- Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps hope to meet for first time before Olympic farewell 0
- What U.S.’ FIBA World Cup title means for Olympics 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)