Nov 14, 2012, 11:15 AM EDT
British heptathlete Jessica Ennis surpassed the high expectations of a nation this summer when she won gold in front of her home crowd in London.
Now the champ is setting her goals even higher. Ennis says she’ll aim to be only the fourth woman ever to break the 7000-point barrier in the seven-event heptathlon when she competes at the world championships in Moscow next summer.
“Your motivation levels are very different,” Ennis told the London Telegraph. “It’s just getting back into it and looking forward to the next championship.
“The World Championships are going to be the main focus for next year, preparing and being where I need to be. I’m still 26, I’ve got time to achieve a bit more, and it’s about re-setting your goals.”
Ennis barely missed the 7000-point mark during the London Olympics, as she totaled a British record and top-five all-time score of 6,955 after winning the 100m hurdles and 200m and 800m races.
Ennis still isn’t sure if she’ll take a shot at the open 100m hurdles in Rio after clocking 12.54 seconds during the heptathlon competition in London. Her time would have good enough for fourth place, just ahead of American track-star-turned-bobsledder Lolo Jones, but Ennis’s coach isn’t keen on the idea.
Instead, she seems content to focus on winning another heptathlon world championship… for now.
- Queen photobombs Commonwealth Games athlete selfie 0
- Brazil eyes 27 to 30 medals at Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt not happy with Tyson Gay’s reduced ban 1
- Gabby Douglas helps girl’s dream come true with Make-A-Wish 0
- Guide to the Commonwealth Games 0
- 90-plus-year-old men set 3 world relay records at USATF Masters 0
- Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics chief quits 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)