Nov 12, 2012, 11:55 AM EDT
After losing to South Korea, 5-4, in a shootout Friday, the British ice hockey team rallied with wins against Romania (3-0) on Saturday and Japan (2-1) on Sunday to earn a spot in February’s Olympic qualification tournament in Germany.
British teammates Craig Peacock and Ben O’Connor each scored goals during a 30-second window in the first period to help the team out to an early 2-0 lead, and then relied on goaltender Stephen Murphy and his 21 saves to hold off Japan’s offensive attack.
“We just had to make sure that we kept to our strengths,” British captain Jonathan Phillips told the AP after victory against Group J tournament host Japan. “We felt we were bigger and stronger, so we just had to get the puck deep and work the boards which we did well in the first period and that was the deciding factor.”
The British team is aiming to qualify for its first Olympics since the 1948 Games, when it finished fifth. Great Britain hasn’t won a medal since they shocked the world by take home gold at the 1936 Games, which was actually the first time they ever put a “British born” team on the ice. They had previously won bronze in 1924 after poaching Canadian soldiers and university students for the team.
Netherlands and Ukraine also won its groups over the weekend to advance in qualification.
- Boston, Chicago Marathon winner Rita Jeptoo fails drug test 0
- Neymar will be on Brazil’s Olympic soccer team, coach says 0
- Meb Keflezighi in familiar spot as New York City Marathon underdog 0
- Matt Anderson taking break from volleyball due to depression 0
- Caroline Wozniacki nervous for New York City Marathon, even in her dreams 0
- Prosecutors to appeal Oscar Pistorius verdict, sentence 3
- Russian triumphs at Skate America; Gracie Gold third (video) 4
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)