Nov 9, 2012, 12:04 PM EDT
Seven-time Olympic cycling medalist Bradley Wiggins was released from the hospital Friday after spending two nights in observation following a collision with a van near his home in Lancashire.
While Wiggins sustained only a broken rib and a busted finger after being hit by a van that was pulling out of a gas station, his Team Sky and Great Britain national coach, Shane Sutton, suffered a head injury when he was hit by a 61-year-old man driving a blue Peugeot during a different accident Thursday.
Sutton suffered a broken cheek bone and bleeding of the brain, but is in stable condition at a hospital in Manchester near where the accident took place.
“It is extremely rare that our riders and coaches are hurt while out cycling on the road, even rarer that two incidents should occur in a short space of time,” a spokesperson for the Great Britain cycling said in a release. “We wish Shane and Bradley a speedy recovery.”
The helmets both men were wearing are credited for ensuring the injuries were not more significant than they already seemed. Sutton is expected to be released from the hospital Saturday and make a full recovery.
Apr 21, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT
Vonn also discussed her prize cows and Tiger Woods.
Apr 21, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The inspirational Maickel Melamed needed 20 hours to finish.
Apr 21, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Andrea Karl didn’t break the tape on marathon day because another runner jumped on the course late in the race.
Apr 21, 2015, 9:03 AM EDT
Leveaux said in a book that team members used cocaine.
Apr 20, 2015, 3:14 PM EDT
“To become one of greatest gymnasts of all time, you have to have a little bit more.”
Apr 20, 2015, 3:10 PM EDT
The top U.S. finisher was an Olympian in fourth.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
Bolt picked two sprinters across history he would like to race against.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
Leveaux details his claim in an upcoming autobiography.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:17 AM EDT
Not even Michael Phelps has attempted this.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Katie Ledecky also flirted with a world record.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:17 AM EDT
The U.S. appears to have a better shot in the women’s race.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:09 AM EDT
Phelps has raced against a record-breaking woman before.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT
“I’m like, Michael, 2016, Rio, 50 free, 100 free, just a relay.”
Apr 17, 2015, 3:06 PM EDT
The finals are at 9 p.m. ET on Universal Sports.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
Plushenko wants to compete in a fifth Olympics in 2018.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:29 AM EDT
It took organizers about 20 minutes to figure out what happened Sunday.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:09 AM EDT
“It doesn’t seem like she has served a ban.”
Apr 17, 2015, 8:42 AM EDT
Phelps outdueled Ryan Lochte, but he was slower than last year.
Apr 16, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT
If Phelps is added by FINA, the U.S. might be able to try for podium sweeps at the World Championships.
Apr 16, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Phelps and Ryan Lochte appear headed for a showdown Thursday night.
- Lindsey Vonn talks ‘first-world problems’ on ‘Late Night with Seth Meyers’ 0
- Vitaly Scherbo weighs in on Kohei Uchimura 0
- Meb Keflezighi eighth after stopping, throwing up, crying at Boston Marathon 1
- Usain Bolt runs his slowest 100m final ever; Brazil TV simulates Bolt’s dream 100m race 2
- Katie Ledecky eyes daunting double at World Championships 0
- Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte split duels in Mesa 0
- Boston Marathon preview: Can Meb Keflezighi repeat? 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)