Nov 8, 2012, 10:07 AM EST
Famed British cyclist Bradley Wiggins spent Wednesday night in the hospital with a busted hand and broken ribs after being hit by a vehicle while riding his bike near his home in northern England.
The seven-time Olympic medalist collided with a van that pulled in front of him while exiting a gas station. Wiggins was tended to by garage attendant Yasmin Smith before an ambulance arrived.
Smith told the Lancashire Evening Telegraph that Wiggins seemed to be in “a lot of pain,” but a spokesperson from Team Sky said the injuries aren’t thought to be serious and the cyclist should make a quick and full recovery.
Prior to the crash Wiggo (as he’s lovingly referred to by fans) was having quite a year: he started by becoming the first Brit to win the Tour de France, literally rung in the Olympics with a giant bell during the Opening Ceremony, won his fourth career cycling gold in London to become the most decorated British Olympian ever, then celebrated by getting “blind drunk.”
Get well soon, Wiggo. Cycling needs you now more than ever.
- World’s most athletic couple takes the next leap 0
- Is Simone Biles unbeatable? 0
- Rio Olympics could have multiple cauldrons 0
- Mike Powell eyes masters world record, possible Olympic trials run at age 51 0
- Behind the scenes of Miracle on Ice reunion 0
- Nastia Liukin adds to history of Olympians on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 1
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Maribor slalom, snags World Cup lead in teenage finale (video) 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)