Nov 2, 2012, 4:27 PM EDT
LeBron James’s favorite Olympian, LeBron James, will be honored by the Miami Heat Saturday night when his gold medal banner is raised to the rafters of AmericanAirlines Arena during the pregame of a matchup against the Denver Nuggets.
The honor comes just four nights after James and his Miami and Beijing teammates, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, watched the 2012 championship banner get raised. LeBron and his teammates then received their rings, which boast 219 diamonds each.
It was the second gold and first championship for James, who joined Michael Jordan as the only players to win an NBA championship, NBA MVP, Finals MVP, and Olympic gold in the same year. Jordan did it it in 1992 with the Dream Team.
James’s banner will join those of Tim Hardaway and Alonzo Mourning (2000), and Wade (2008), who all won gold medals while playing for the Miami Heat. The team will also recognize south Florida Olympic gymnast Danell Leyva and Paralympic swimmer Justin Zook during the ceremony.
- Evan Lysacek: ‘My career is coming to an end’ 0
- Usain Bolt takes on all questions in India 0
- Haley Anderson wins Pan Pacs open-water 10K by .01 after jellyfish sting, move to Maui 0
- Gwen Jorgensen wins World Championship in triathlon 0
- How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics 0
- Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton 0
- Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)