Nov 1, 2012, 12:09 PM EDT
After failing to qualify for the London Olympics earlier this year, is Australian swimmer Ian Thorpe staring at retirement No. 2?
His simple answer: No.
Thorpe, who stepped away from the sport in 2006 after a career that earned him a total of nine medals (five gold) at the 2000 and 2004 Olympics, attempted to qualify for London in the 100m and 200m freestyle. Thing is, Thorpe’s comeback sputtered at the Olympic Trials – he didn’t make the finals in either race.
The 30-year-old Aussie is currently on a book tour Down Under to promote his new autobiography, “This Is Me.” Among the topics he addresses in the book are rumors of him being gay (which he denies) and his battle with depression and suicidal thoughts.
And, in an interview with Fox Sports News, he said his next goals are to compete in the 2013 World Championships and the 2014 Commonwealth Games. Thorpe has been training in Switzerland.
“Everything is on a two-year plan for me these days,” Thorpe said in the interview. “What I didn’t like about London was that I was rushing to make it. I’m not going to do that this time. I’ll do what I want to do and what I feel I can do.”
If nothing else, the Australian swim team could use a veteran like Thorpe to provide leadership in the wake of a scandal that allegedly had some of the athletes sleepwalking through London this summer.
Oct 29, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
Anderson is the two-time reigning USA Volleyball Player of the Year.
Oct 29, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
The 2018 World Championships were already awarded.
Oct 29, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Tennis player flew from Singapore to Denmark to New York this week.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
Rising black smoke caused brief panic, but the fire was quickly put out.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
Bruno Grandi was at the helm for a judging overhaul.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
One of the U.S.’ strongest skaters from last season is not on the team.
Oct 28, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Sundquist was a partially eaten gingerbread man, a leg lamp and a flamingo in recent years.
Oct 28, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Either Berlin or Hamburg will be chosen in March.
Oct 28, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
Those against Boston hosting an Olympics sent a letter to the USOC.
Oct 28, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
Judge rules in lawsuit over environmental concerns.
Oct 27, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
China’s Zhang Jike kicked through an advertising board.
Oct 27, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT
The list includes a four-time Olympic champion.
Oct 27, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Rousseff could join a short list of women to declare open an Olympics in two years.
Oct 27, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
Alexander Kaptarenko carried a Sochi Olympic torch for 200 meters in December.
Oct 27, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Pistorius was sentenced to no more than five years behind prison last week.
Oct 26, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
Russian who was too young for Sochi Olympics takes title.
Oct 26, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Olympic champion’s worst-ever result in Soelden.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
Machida breaks record for winning margin; U.S. matches its longest drought.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:02 PM EDT
Two Russians lead the way.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Miller, 37, had documented back problems in the offseason.
- Matt Anderson taking break from volleyball due to depression 0
- Caroline Wozniacki nervous for New York City Marathon, even in her dreams 0
- Prosecutors to appeal Oscar Pistorius verdict, sentence 3
- Russian triumphs at Skate America; Gracie Gold third (video) 4
- Ted Ligety struggles in first race of season (video) 0
- Japan’s Machida routs U.S. men at Skate America; ice dancers make history 0
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins her first World Cup giant slalom in Soelden tie (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)