Nov 1, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
If we can all agree that women ruled the London Olympics – and statistics, as well as plain observation says they did – then it makes sense to see five proud American athletes land on Glamour’s list of 2012’s “Women of the Year.”
Swimming phenom Missy Franklin, gymnastic darling Gabby Douglas, gold medal judoka Kayla Harrison, sprinter Allyson Felix, and soccer star Carli Lloyd will share the honor and appear in a collective photo, adorned in white dresses with gold medal accessories, when the magazine’s December issue hits newsstands next week.
For the first time in history the U.S. women outnumbered and out-medaled the men, finishing ahead in the count 59 to 45 while providing some of the most exciting moments of the London Games.
Moments like Missy’s 200m backstroke world record, Gabby becoming the first African-American to win all-around gold, Harrison becoming the first American woman to win judo gold, Felix winning the 200m after back-to-back silvers, and Lloyd becoming the first woman to score goals in two gold medal matches.
Unfortunately none of the splendid American athletes will grace the cover of December’s Glamour, but that’s what they get for not dating Justin Beiber. Well played, Selena Gomez. Well played.
- Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships 0
- Gwen Jorgensen, Sarah True make 2016 U.S. Olympic triathlon team 0
- USOC to talk with other three finalists to replace Boston 2024 Olympic bid 0
- World Swimming Championships women’s preview 0
- World Swimming Championships men’s preview 2
- Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics; first city to hold Summer and Winter Games 4
- USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)