Oct 31, 2012, 11:53 AM EST
Swimming legend Michael Phelps was down at a training center in Rio this week to teach some kids how to swim (adorable), so questions about whether he would be back in four years for the Olympics were bound to follow. He says, sure, maybe, but not in the sport you were thinking.
The 18-time gold medalist, who’s been seen swinging his clubs from Chicago to Shanghai, joked that he’ll only be back in 2016 if he becomes an “amazing golfer,” since his new favorite sport will be returning to the Olympics in 2016 after a brief 112 year hiatus. But he called the possibility “unlikely.”
He also asked that no one get his mother’s hopes for Rio up since she’s already been bugging him to compete, but Phelps would need to golf far beyond amazing to qualify for Games: only the world’s top 15 players or two from each country will make their way to Rio.
Instead Phelps will probably stick to golfing in charity events that require exactly zero crowd surfing.
Jan 30, 2015, 4:12 PM EST
Rupp will compete in the Armory Track Invitational on NBCSN on Saturday.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
Tatyana Chernova beat Jessica Ennis at the 2011 World Championships.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:32 AM EST
The ban would rule Jeptoo out of the Rio Olympics.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:41 PM EST
Five women to watch, plus the schedule of events.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:37 PM EST
How to watch Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin and more go for gold in Colorado.
Jan 29, 2015, 9:32 AM EST
The relay will start in May 2016.
Jan 28, 2015, 3:23 PM EST
“I only did it to send a message,” shoveler said.
Jan 28, 2015, 2:02 PM EST
An Olympic legend helped convince him to come back, possibly for the 2018 Olympics.
Jan 27, 2015, 4:14 PM EST
Bowie may try to make the World Championships team in three individual events.
Jan 27, 2015, 2:37 PM EST
Once Usain Bolt’s top rival, the Jamaican is returning from a second major injury in as many years.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:41 PM EST
Armstrong touched on many topics in a BBC interview.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:58 AM EST
Could Hingis return to Olympic tennis, 20 years after her only Olympic appearance?
Jan 26, 2015, 8:41 AM EST
Park’s management agency cited “an illegal injection administered by a local doctor.”
Jan 25, 2015, 9:48 PM EST
Brown is the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:35 PM EST
Instead, past Winter X Games champions prevailed in Aspen.
Jan 25, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Jason Brown tries to become the youngest U.S. men’s champion since 2004.
Jan 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
An inside look at the skier’s comeback from two major knee surgeries.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:36 AM EST
Vonn captured victory No. 64 in St. Moritz, Switzerland.
Jan 24, 2015, 11:50 PM EST
Wagner becomes the oldest women’s champion since Michelle Kwan.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:15 PM EST
Kim outdueled the greatest snowboarder of all time.
- Galen Rupp talks training with Mo Farah, marathons, weird drug test story 0
- Russian Olympic, World champions get doping bans 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin lead World Alpine Skiing Championships women’s preview 1
- Rio 2016 Olympic torch relay details announced 0
- K.C. Boutiette returns to World Cup speed skating for first time since 2006 0
- Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season 0
- Yohan Blake details ‘dreams’ for 2015 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)