Oct 31, 2012, 11:53 AM EDT
Swimming legend Michael Phelps was down at a training center in Rio this week to teach some kids how to swim (adorable), so questions about whether he would be back in four years for the Olympics were bound to follow. He says, sure, maybe, but not in the sport you were thinking.
The 18-time gold medalist, who’s been seen swinging his clubs from Chicago to Shanghai, joked that he’ll only be back in 2016 if he becomes an “amazing golfer,” since his new favorite sport will be returning to the Olympics in 2016 after a brief 112 year hiatus. But he called the possibility “unlikely.”
He also asked that no one get his mother’s hopes for Rio up since she’s already been bugging him to compete, but Phelps would need to golf far beyond amazing to qualify for Games: only the world’s top 15 players or two from each country will make their way to Rio.
Instead Phelps will probably stick to golfing in charity events that require exactly zero crowd surfing.
Mar 30, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT
Gabby Douglas and Aly Raisman are attempting what six other Olympic medalists before them failed.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Gatlin may have gotten an up-close look at his biggest U.S. threat on Saturday.
Mar 30, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
Argentina is in jeopardy of not qualifying for the Rio Olympics.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:24 PM EDT
It marked Jorgensen’s largest margin of victory in her World Triathlon Series career.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:42 PM EDT
But they haven’t decided on the 2018 Olympics.
Mar 28, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Terry Gannon, Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir and Tracy Wilson are on the call.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
How they fared against World champion Simone Biles.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
“I don’t know if it’s going to ever happen again.”
Mar 28, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
Next year, Tuktamysheva can go for a feat not seen since 2001.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
The U.S. has a new former NHL player as head coach, is missing a major Sochi star and hopes to end a losing streak to Canada.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
The Olympic champions are slated to compete for the first time since London 2012 this weekend.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT
The U.S. men are unlikely to secure three spots for the 2016 World Championships.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT
A French couple became the youngest World champions in 40 years.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:14 AM EDT
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva landed a triple Axel in one of the greatest short programs of all time.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
The last time Canada won a World title in pairs was before the 2002 judging scandal.
Mar 25, 2015, 9:44 AM EDT
A slight improvement could mark the best U.S. pairs finishes since 2002.
Mar 25, 2015, 9:13 AM EDT
Bolt’s last appearance in New York produced his first world record.
Mar 25, 2015, 8:53 AM EDT
The Olympians could become the second U.S. ice dance couple to win a World Championship.
Mar 24, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
The Olympic and World champion returns to the site of a bloody collision.
Mar 24, 2015, 10:11 AM EDT
Boston will not move forward with an Olympic bid if a majority of state and city residents don’t support it.
- A recent history of U.S. Olympic gymnastics comebacks 0
- Meryl Davis, Charlie White won’t compete next season 1
- Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman competitive with U.S. teammates in comeback 0
- Javier Fernandez wins upset World Championship; top American fourth 0
- Elizaveta Tuktamysheva wins World Championship; U.S. just misses medals 0
- How to watch Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman’s comeback gymnastics meet 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu tops World Championships short program; Jason Brown leads Americans 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)