Oct 26, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
Hallelujah! British field hockey star Hannah Macleod’s stolen bronze was anonymously returned (via mail) Friday after being pilfered from a London Night Club early Wednesday morning.
Her medal, as well as that of men’s eight rower Alex Partridge, was stolen while Team GB was dancing the night away following a reception with the queen and Princess Kate at Buckingham Palace.
Macleod, who called the event “simply shattering” posted a picture on Twitter of the likely criminal from the Mahiki night club’s security footage, asking “Does anyone know this man?”
Apparently whomever had the medal was scared by the more than 17,000 retweets, as well as the publicity of the last few days, as the medal was mailed to the England Hockey head office in Buckinghamshire, arriving Friday.
Police, who arrested and released a 31-year-old man in connection to the crime, are holding on to the medal as part of the investigation into the thefts, but said Macleod and her prize will be reunited shortly.
London Police want to stress that while the return of Macleod’s medal is joyous news, Partridge’s medal remains missin. His Olympic blazer was returned to police Thursday, sans bronze, which was being kept in a special pocket sewn specifically for holding the medals of the U.K. athletes.
“We are still looking to recover the second medal, and we stress that our inquiries remain active,” chief inspector James Harman told reporters. “Alex’s medal has yet to be traced, and he is understandably keen to be reunited with it as soon as possible.”
- Analyzing the U.S. gymnastics women’s World Championships team 0
- Shaun White ‘more motivated’ to compete than before Sochi 0
- Lolo Jones eliminated from ‘Dancing with the Stars’ 5
- Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps hope to meet for first time before Olympic farewell 0
- What U.S.’ FIBA World Cup title means for Olympics 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ Nike contract terminated 6
- Oscar Pistorius would be allowed in Paralympics after serving sentence 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)