Oct 24, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
After more than a year away from the ice, Vancouver women’s figure skating champ Kim Yu-na is putting the ol’ team back together in hopes of defending her Olympic title at the 2014 Sochi Games.
Kim figured she’s about 70 percent ready to compete again and will reunite with childhood coaches Shin Hye-sook and Ryu Jong-hyun, who she began her career with at age seven in Seoul.
“I still have a feel for jumps and as long as I can get my strength back, there should be no problem,” Kim said in a press conference, adding that she plans to focus on conditioning. “I am also a bit concerned about shaking off rust in competitions.”
After sitting out all international competitions since winning silver at the 2011 World Championships, the 22-year-old South Korean wasn’t invited to compete in the current Grand Prix season.
Instead she’ll need to score enough technical points in minor competitions to qualify for the 2013 worlds in London, Ontario and use that competition as a springboard to the Olympics.
2010 men’s gold medalist Evan Lysacek also recently announced his plans to win another medal in Sochi, but sat out last week’s Skate America event with a groin injury. He currently plans to make his competitive debut at the U.S. Championships in Omaha this January.
- German long jump champion, a Paralympian, left off European Championships roster 0
- Eddy Alvarez heats up in Arizona League 0
- U.S. 400m runner Torrin Lawrence dies in car accident 0
- Brazil’s Olympic coach wants Neymar to play at Rio 2016 0
- U.S. teams sweep World Series of Beach Volleyball (video) 0
- UPDATE: Noelle Pikus-Pace’s brother and his children found in Idaho 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross make WSOBV final 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)