Oct 23, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
The Kelloggs Tour of Gymnastics Champions claimed another victim this week when 2012 national champ John Orozco felt a pop as he landed a dismount from the parallel bars in St. Louis.
Turns out what he thought was a dislocated kneecap, which would require only about six to eight weeks on the sidelines, was much worse when his doctor back home in New York checked him out.
“Looks like I tore my ACL and Meniscus on my left leg,” Orozco posted on Facebook Tuesday after hearing the news. “Doc says it’ll be months for healing but rehab starts soon then Surgery in a few weeks and yea… It’s not gonna be fun.”
The Bronx-born gymnast tore his Achilles during prelims at the 2010 U.S. Championships (well documented in the Gym Class Heroes music video “The Fighter”) when he was just 17-years-old.
Orozco came back from surgery and rehab to win four medals at the 2011 nationals and another five, including gold in the all-around, at this year’s championships. He ultimately disappointed at the Olympics, though, finishing eighth after entering as a podium favorite.
His U.S teammate McKayla Maroney is still in a walking boot after fractured her leg on just the second stop of the tour in early September. She had surgery on her tibia and another on her toe, but admitted to ESPN that it’s not all bad: “Everyone has to carry my bags.”
Two-time gold medalist Aly Raisman fell during the same show, scraping her knees on concrete during a transition on the uneven bars and Jonathan Horton thankfully avoided injury when he fell from the rings.
- Greg Louganis recalls Olympic diving, HIV, coming out in ‘Back on Board’ film 0
- Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte miss medals; Katie Ledecky breaks record at Worlds 1
- Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback 0
- Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships 0
- Katie Ledecky breaks 1500m freestyle world record again 1
- Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships 0
- Gwen Jorgensen, Sarah True make 2016 U.S. Olympic triathlon team 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)