Oct 22, 2012, 8:02 AM EST
There was no hat ceremony or photo op or parade or even a press conference when Missy Franklin named the school she’ll soon be decorating with medals and trophies; instead just a tweet.
“Committed to swim at Cal Berkeley!” the four-time gold medalist posted Saturday. “I am officially a baby Golden Bear… I am so honored to be a part of such a special team! #GoBears.”
Missy will join Olympic teammate Rachel Bootsma and London women’s team Coach Teri McKeever at Berkeley, a school that’s won three of the last four women’s NCAA national team championships (as well as the last two on the men’s side), and won’t be any worse for wear when she arrives next year.
Missy also checked out Georgia and Texas, and considered Southern Cal, but the 17-year-old swim phenom told 9News in Colorado that she “instantly felt at home” in Berkeley.
“[McKeever] had such a way to motivate us and to bring the team together,” Missy said. “She encouraged the veterans to share their experiences with us. It helped us so much and made our Olympic team so close.”
All that said, she can only turn down endorsements for so long: as of now Missy plans to stay in Cal gold and blue for two years before going pro to prepare to defend her titles in Rio.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:20 PM EST
Previously, Phelps and USA Swimming agreed he would withdraw from the World Championships team due to his DUI arrest.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
The Olympic champion competes next week for the first time since July.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:07 AM EST
How do the versions for Toronto 2015 compare to previous Pan Am Games medals?
Mar 3, 2015, 10:27 AM EST
Even if baseball is re-added to the Olympics, Fukushima might not be a logical choice to host games.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:59 PM EST
Team GB’s men and women were ousted in the 2012 Olympic quarterfinals.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
The Olympic judo bronze medalist is compared to a former dominant heavyweight boxer.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EST
Walsh Jennings also had breakfast with a beach legend in Rio de Janeiro.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:11 AM EST
IOC member and former South Africa Olympic Committee president previously said the nation was readying to bid.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:21 AM EST
Bowe skated with dominance not seen since 2003.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:47 AM EST
Vonn is three away from another World Cup mark.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:44 AM EST
Austrian rival puts on a dominating performance in Garmisch.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:31 AM EST
Vonn will get another chance on Monday.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:05 AM EST
Rousey is undefeated in 11 pro fights since winning Olympic judo bronze in 2008.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:03 AM EST
Meyers Taylor improved from silver medals at the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:55 PM EST
Rio government organization published two videos looking at the construction of Olympic Park.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EST
Nibali might not be able to defend his Tour de France title as an Astana rider.
Feb 27, 2015, 12:52 PM EST
Ashton Eaton, Brianne Theisen-Eaton are taking different paths to potential gold in Rio.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
“Athletes have wanted this changed for a very long time. It’s been a very long discussion.”
Feb 26, 2015, 4:48 PM EST
U.S. Olympic legend said yes. Top U.S. gymnast says no.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:48 AM EST
Meanwhile, the Olympic champion is well back in Winterberg.
- Michael Phelps may be reinstated for World Championships, report says 0
- David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Marcel Hirscher’s historically dominant win just about ends Ted Ligety’s title hopes (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined 0
- Elana Meyers Taylor wins historic bobsled World Championship (video) 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)