Oct 16, 2012, 8:35 AM EDT
Abby Wambach has won two gold medals, a World Cup, three collegiate titles, five American player of the year trophies, and, maybe most importantly, my heart. But after all she’s accomplished through hard work and determination, Wambach called Monday her “happiest day ever.”
“So Chipotle today told me I was getting a gold card that I get free burritos for life,” the soccer star posted on Twitter, adding “#nojoke” and picture of a Chipotle shirt, lest you not believe her.
No word why Wambach received such a great honor and teammates like Alex Morgan, who headed in the winning goal against Canada in the semis, didn’t, but on top of all the stuff we mentioned above, the striker is also second on the U.S. women’s all-time goals list with 146, only 12 behind Mia Hamm’s 158.
Wambach told the Huffington Post back in July that she only indulges when she isn’t training, so unfortunately her gorging will have have to wait until the team’s post-Olympics tour comes to an end; the women added dates against Ireland in both Portland on Nov. 28 and Glendale, Ariz. on Dec. 1.
After that, let the feast begin.
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals 1
- Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos) 0
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired 0
- Simone Biles still buzzing after World Championships whirlwind 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)