Oct 15, 2012, 10:53 AM EST
World record marathoner Paula Radcliffe has had her funding pulled by U.K. Athletics after failing to compete in the recent Olympics and last year’s world championships due to injury, but the 38-year-old isn’t counting herself out for Rio just yet.
“Retirement is definitely not in any plans,” Radcliffe posted on Twitter. “I’m not doing all this training and getting this foot healthy and strong for nothing.”
Radcliffe is still a top runner when healthy, but Great Britain’s nationally funded athletics program has cutback spending, and has gone from supporting the top eight athletes in a sport to just the top three.
“The focus is the future,” U.K performance director Neil Black told BBC Radio. “We have the World Championships in Moscow next year, then we look to 2016 and then to 2020. It is about medals for the future… We don’t penalize people because of age.”
Despite winning three London and three New York City marathon titles, another in Chicago, a world championship in Helsinki in 2005, and owning the race’s two fastest times in history, the best Radcliffe has done in the event at the Olympics was 23rd place in Beijing.
- President Obama yet to deliver after losing Olympic beer bet 0
- Shannon Szabados joins men’s pro hockey team 0
- Oscar Pistorius said ‘everything is fine’ to security calling about gunshot reports (video) 0
- Ukraine may leave Sochi Paralympics if situation escalates 0
- Five Paralympic storylines to watch in Sochi 2
- Mikaela Shiffrin takes 15th in first post-Olympic race 1
- Oscar Pistorius tried to revive girlfriend after shooting, witness recounts (video) 2