Oct 15, 2012, 9:47 AM EDT
Cuisine notwithstanding, there’s countless reasons why London has hosted a record three Olympics. But could a fourth soon be in the country’s future?
Well, yeah, sure, of course, according to IOC president Jacques Rogge. He told BBC Radio that a return to the 2012 host could be a definite possibility in the next twenty years.
“Whether there is a will to do that is another matter, but definitely, that would be possible,” Rogge said. “This is a contest and definitely it remains to be seen whether London would show an interest to bid again, and if that is the case London will have to face other cities.”
London previously hosted in 1908 and 1948, and the perceived rousing success of the recent 2012 Games means the IOC would be happy to bring the Olympics back to one of the world’s great cities host again. But the competition will likely be stiffer and even more international than in previous years.
Kenya is looking to host the first Olympics on African soil in Nairobi, America, which cleared up their revenue sharing deal with the IOC, will aim to hold both a Summers and Winters in the next twenty, and Paris will look to match London three-peat by hosting again 2024, the centennial of their last Olympics.
That’s not even to mention whoever loses out on the 2020 bid between Istanbul, Tokyo, and Madrid, as well as Doha and Dubai, both likely to make strong pushes. For now, let’s let London bask in the glory of the 2012 Games. After all, they really don’t have to start thinking about this their next bid for a couple years.
- Usain Bolt anchors Jamaica to 4x100m relay gold after U.S. mishap 1
- Ashton Eaton breaks decathlon world record, wins World Championship 1
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m 3
- Allyson Felix wins 400m, breaks U.S. record for Worlds medals; Rio preview? 1
- Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin’s first race together from 2005 (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)