Oct 12, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
World Cup ski champ Lindsey Vonn has yet to submit paperwork with the International Ski Federation (FIS) to compete at a men’s event in Alberta next month, but a few possible competitors are already chiming in how they think she’ll do.
“She’s an amazing skier and we know how she stacks up against us,” Manny Osborne-Paradis told the Calgary Sun. “She’s definitely close, but I don’t think she’d do as well as she thinks.”
Out of context them might sound like fightin’ words, but Osborne-Paradis says he’s in support of the publicity Vonn would bring to the sport. He’s more concerned with where she’ll start since position, earned through FIS points, is important in alpine skiing.
Male competitor Ben Thomsen, who placed second at an event in Sochi last year, seemed downright nervous about going up against the Vancouver gold medalist. He told the Sun he was forced to watch dishes after losing to her in training during a camp last year.
“Since Lake Louise is not in my wheelhouse, I am a little upset,” said Thomsen. “I am worried I’ll end up with a whole season of dishes.” He also called the Alberta course, dubbed “Lake Lindsey” by some because of Vonn’s dominance at the venue, the easiest on the schedule.
- Matt Anderson taking break from volleyball due to depression 0
- Caroline Wozniacki nervous for New York City Marathon, even in her dreams 0
- Prosecutors to appeal Oscar Pistorius verdict, sentence 3
- Russian triumphs at Skate America; Gracie Gold third (video) 4
- Ted Ligety struggles in first race of season (video) 0
- Japan’s Machida routs U.S. men at Skate America; ice dancers make history 0
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins her first World Cup giant slalom in Soelden tie (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)