Oct 12, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
World Cup ski champ Lindsey Vonn has yet to submit paperwork with the International Ski Federation (FIS) to compete at a men’s event in Alberta next month, but a few possible competitors are already chiming in how they think she’ll do.
“She’s an amazing skier and we know how she stacks up against us,” Manny Osborne-Paradis told the Calgary Sun. “She’s definitely close, but I don’t think she’d do as well as she thinks.”
Out of context them might sound like fightin’ words, but Osborne-Paradis says he’s in support of the publicity Vonn would bring to the sport. He’s more concerned with where she’ll start since position, earned through FIS points, is important in alpine skiing.
Male competitor Ben Thomsen, who placed second at an event in Sochi last year, seemed downright nervous about going up against the Vancouver gold medalist. He told the Sun he was forced to watch dishes after losing to her in training during a camp last year.
“Since Lake Louise is not in my wheelhouse, I am a little upset,” said Thomsen. “I am worried I’ll end up with a whole season of dishes.” He also called the Alberta course, dubbed “Lake Lindsey” by some because of Vonn’s dominance at the venue, the easiest on the schedule.
- U.S. Women undefeated after opening of indoor volleyball Grand Prix tournament 0
- Lucena, Brunner finish fourth while Brazilians claim victory at Beach Volleyball World Championships 0
- Jamaican sprinters Asafa Powell and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce dominate at Paris Diamond League 0
- Jordan Burroughs on Rio: ‘My chances of winning’ are better than in London 1
- Rio 2016 Olympic torch unveiled 1
- Allyson Felix considering 200-400m double at Worlds 1
- USOC eyes majority support for Boston 2024 ‘relatively soon’ 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)