Oct 11, 2012, 2:57 PM EDT
The Spanish basketball team was so upset after a second straight gold medal game loss to Team USA this summer that the silver medalists apparently performed $14,400 worth of destruction to their two apartments following the game.
We’re guessing it didn’t help them feel any better.
“The leaving parties are usually a regular thing when players finish a tournament,” a Spanish Federation source told the New York Daily News. “After living together for six weeks, preparing and competing, they have it. But it has never led to this.”
The Spanish media has dubbed the incident “despicable” and “disrespectful,” and the country’s Olympic committee has already confirmed the damage and covered the cost.
The Spanish basketball team, which includes the Gasol brothers and Serge Ibaka, is no stranger to controversy: both the men’s and women’s squads were photographed pulling the skin around their eyes back for an advertisement before the 2008 Beijing Games. Pau Gasol later apologized on behalf of the team.
So far the Spanish Basketball Federation has denied any knowledge of the property damage, and presumably pointed and shouted “look over there” as they ran as fast as they could in the other direction.
- Oslo withdraws 2022 Olympic bid after ‘no’ vote 0
- Justin Gatlin eyes more 200s after undefeated season 0
- Michael Phelps arrested on DUI charges 3
- Lauryn Williams ‘playing with the idea’ of bobsled this season 1
- Lindsey Vonn set for first skiing in 10 months, named 2016 Youth Olympics ambassador 0
- Talk of a sub-two-hour marathon 2
- Dennis Kimetto breaks world record at Berlin Marathon (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)