Oct 11, 2012, 2:57 PM EDT
The Spanish basketball team was so upset after a second straight gold medal game loss to Team USA this summer that the silver medalists apparently performed $14,400 worth of destruction to their two apartments following the game.
We’re guessing it didn’t help them feel any better.
“The leaving parties are usually a regular thing when players finish a tournament,” a Spanish Federation source told the New York Daily News. “After living together for six weeks, preparing and competing, they have it. But it has never led to this.”
The Spanish media has dubbed the incident “despicable” and “disrespectful,” and the country’s Olympic committee has already confirmed the damage and covered the cost.
The Spanish basketball team, which includes the Gasol brothers and Serge Ibaka, is no stranger to controversy: both the men’s and women’s squads were photographed pulling the skin around their eyes back for an advertisement before the 2008 Beijing Games. Pau Gasol later apologized on behalf of the team.
So far the Spanish Basketball Federation has denied any knowledge of the property damage, and presumably pointed and shouted “look over there” as they ran as fast as they could in the other direction.
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming