Oct 11, 2012, 8:49 AM EDT
Volleyball has beach, cycling has BMX, swimming has open water, and badminton exists, so why not 3-on-3 hoops at the Olympics?
FIBA, basketball’s international governing body, is strongly considering a push to make 3-on-3 at the Olympics a reality as soon as the Rio Games in 2016, and the success of the world championships in Spain last week is encouraging the masses.
Serbia won both the men’s senior and under-18 tournament, with the U.S. taking bronze and silver respectively and the French ending up with whatever was left. In August, Team USA took gold at the inaugural women’s world tournament in Athens.
“What FIBA wants is to create a new generation of players,” said Jim Tooley, CEO of USA Basketball. “And take the game into new places. You saw here teams from Guam, from Nepal.”
The athletes play 10 minute or 21 point games (whichever comes first) on outdoor half-courts, with a 12 second shot clock, a ones-and-twos scoring system, and loud, pumping music that helps drive the break-neck speed of the game.
“I think it’s exciting to watch too because it’s really high-paced… it’s a great environment,” Canadian under-18 coach Shawn Swords told the Toronto Observer. “I think it’s something that would definitely draw a lot of people to watch, and it would be a fun game to play and I’m sure the players would love it.”
We’re not sure if the world is ready to give up on the 5-on-5 game that’s been around since 1936, so it might be tough to find space for both disciplines in the schedule, but if the Olympics is going to continue aiming at a younger audience with sports like beach volleyball and BMX, then 3-on-3 has to be next on the list.
Now if we could only figure out a way to add HORSE and a three-point shootout we’d be set.
- Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte split duels in Mesa 0
- Boston Marathon preview: Can Meb Keflezighi repeat? 0
- Michael Phelps jokingly challenges Katie Ledecky to race 1
- Debbie Phelps texted Michael Phelps about Rio 2016 years ago (video) 0
- Yevgeny Plushenko to return to figure skating competition 1
- Michael Phelps back with ‘OK’ victory in Mesa 1
- Michael Phelps could be offered World Championships spot by FINA 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)