Oct 11, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Gold medal figure skater Evan Lysacek has pulled out of the Skate America Grand Prix event in Kent, Wash. next week, citing an apparent groin injury. The event would have been Lysacek’s first competition since he won in Vancouver more than two years ago.
Lysacek now plans to wait until January’s national championships in Omaha, Neb. to continue his Olympic comeback, but U.S. Figure Skating is looking to sneak him into a tune-up event before the end of the year, according to the AP.
“I feel strong now, I feel prepared and, dare I say it, even better than in Vancouver,” Lysacek said while training back in August. “I really feel the most important thing for me was not to come back as the same athlete in Vancouver, but to come back better.”
Lysacek has been working toward the Olympics for more than a year and says he’s added a quadruple jump to his repertoire. He’s hoping for a top-three finish at March’s world championships, which will earn him a guaranteed spot in Sochi. Lysacek won the 2009 world championships in Los Angeles.
Aug 26, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
Comoros, British Virgin Islands, Romania join together in track and field finale.
Aug 26, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Olympic ice dancing silver medalist tries out non-Olympic sports.
Aug 26, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
German, British, Dutch dressage teams win medals at World Equestrian Games.
Aug 26, 2014, 10:07 AM EDT
Americans complete dominating 13-game run.
Aug 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Le Clos won five medals at the 2010 Youth Olympics before shocking the most decorated Olympian ever in London.
Aug 25, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Even his coach doubted him, but Jonathan Horton made good on a December vow.
Aug 25, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT
Mixed-gender, mixed-team relay will include athletes from all track and field events.
Aug 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Men prevailed in the 200m and 800m.
Aug 25, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
Filipino gymnast was separated from Singapore shooter at age 3.
Aug 24, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
“This was his toughest climb,” his coach said.
Aug 24, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Two-time Olympic medalist left off.
Aug 24, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
Mo Farah breaks a European record; Allyson Felix fails to make 100m final.
Aug 24, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
Bolt has his slowest season since 2007.
Aug 24, 2014, 8:27 AM EDT
Ledecky faster in 1500m free at 17 than Ryan Lochte was at 19 in 2004.
Aug 23, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
The World all-around champion fell on balance beam and still won easily.
Aug 23, 2014, 11:58 PM EDT
Finals at 5 a.m. ET on Sunday.
Aug 23, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
Poland’s Ewa Nikola Swoboda “appeared to tumble forward before the gun went off.”
Aug 23, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
Chinese martial arts-derived sport joins others seeking Olympic inclusion.
Aug 23, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT
Mo Farah, Allyson Felix, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce in action.
Aug 23, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
Bolt bettered his only other 100m this year.
- Jonathan Horton boosted by 2008 teammate to successful return 0
- Sam Mikulak rallies for repeat P&G Championships title (video) 0
- Usain Bolt ends his season 1
- Katie Ledecky smashes another world record at Pan Pacs 4
- Simone Biles awes judges, U.S. legend to repeat at P&G Championships 0
- Usain Bolt wins 100m in Warsaw after Humvee entrance 1
- Katie Ledecky breaks world record, Michael Phelps wins at Pan Pacs 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)