Oct 9, 2012, 8:48 AM EDT
We’re still about four years out from the Rio Games, but Irish Olympic committee chair Pat Hickey is already making pleas and concessions in hopes world No. 1 golfer Rory McIlroy will represent Ireland when his sport returns to the Olympics in 2016.
“I will say to Rory that if he declares for Ireland, then he will automatically put himself in pole position to carry the Irish Tricolor into the Olympic stadium in Rio,” Hickey told the Daily Telegraph.
“Can you just imagine what something like this would do for Rory McIlroy? It would suddenly catapult him into the realms of being one of the most instantly recognizable sporting faces on the planet.”
To be fair, the fact that McIlroy is the best athlete in one of the world’s most popular sports has probably done a good job of raising his worldwide profile. Hickey added that he thought Rory made “rash comments” and was “immature” when he recently said that he’s always felt more British than Irish.
McIlroy has since backed off those comments, saying he’s still not sure which team he’ll play for in Rio.
But, it’s probably not a good sign for Hickey or Ireland that McIlroy, who was born in Northern Ireland and can choose between the Irish and British team, was wearing the English flag like a cape while celebrating Europe’s dramatic Ryder Cup win last month. No Irish tricolor was in sight.
- Neymar will be on Brazil’s Olympic soccer team, coach says 0
- Meb Keflezighi in familiar spot as New York City Marathon underdog 0
- Matt Anderson taking break from volleyball due to depression 0
- Caroline Wozniacki nervous for New York City Marathon, even in her dreams 0
- Prosecutors to appeal Oscar Pistorius verdict, sentence 3
- Russian triumphs at Skate America; Gracie Gold third (video) 4
- Ted Ligety struggles in first race of season (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)