Sep 28, 2012, 4:13 PM EDT
Breaking news: There’s another “Call Me Maybe” parody video on the web. And probably another since we typed that. And there’s another…
There’s an untold number of these things living on YouTube (we actually tried counting but quickly became overwhelmed and out-matched), so terming it breaking news might not be entirely accurate.
Still, enjoy a trip down memory lane:
– The Harvard baseball team’s “Call Me Maybe” video was the first one that really took off. It has a low-budget movie feel to it – the lighting is so-so, the song is playing through the speakers in the team’s van and it’s all one continuous take. Still, it’s like an old cell phone: Sure it can only make phone calls and it’s got a green screen, but it’s a relic. And it has 16.3 million views.
– A version filmed by a group of U.S. Army soldiers in Afghanistan is definitely one of our favorites. Have you ever seen grown men with machine guns dancing in the desert? Add in some night-vision goggles, mortar rounds being fired and a robot dance and you’ve got yourself one solid video. 1.4 million views.
– The mascots of the Big 10 took a stab at the video too. It’s not bad, really. As the song plays, one thing becomes painfully obvious: Mascots can’t open and close their mouths, if you didn’t already know that. So it’s more of a dance video than a lip synching video. 403,762 views.
– Jimmy Fallon and his band on Late Night, The Roots, had a different take on the video: They teamed up with Carly Rae Jepsen, who co-wrote and originally recorded the song, and performed their own version instead of just lip synching it. It’s entertaining, without a doubt. We particularly like Jepsen’s use of the triangle – another old-school relic. 10.2 million views.
– And then of course there’s our favorite, the version produced by members of the U.S. Olympic swim team (Disclaimer: we’re biased since we covered the sport at the Olympics). Our favorite part might be Nathan Adrian’s slick move at the 1:49 mark. 9 million views.
Almost forgot about the original reason for this post. Here it is, the Canadian Olympians edition of “Call Me Maybe.” Good to know our neighbors to north finally got the internet. 20,352 views.
Which one’s your favorite?
- Usain Bolt anchors Jamaica to 4x100m relay gold after U.S. mishap 1
- Ashton Eaton breaks decathlon world record, wins World Championship 1
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m 3
- Allyson Felix wins 400m, breaks U.S. record for Worlds medals; Rio preview? 1
- Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin’s first race together from 2005 (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)