Sep 27, 2012, 3:05 PM EDT
U.S. swimmer Ryan Lochte’s life has been anything but boring since he won five medals – two gold, two silver and a bronze – at the London Olympics.
Here’s a brief snapshot of what he’s been up to:
- Birthday party in Las Vegas, where England’s Prince Harry found him and challenged him to three races (in a swimming pool). Lochte accepted and won the royal showdowns.
- Fashion Week in New York City, where he posed for pictures on red carpets, snagged seats next to the runways and even did some on-camera reporting for “Extra!” and “E! News.”
- Back to New York, where he filmed a cameo appearance in NBC’s “30 Rock.”
- iHeartRadio Music Festival in Las Vegas, where he walked yet another red carpet and met some A-list celebrities such as Miley Cyrus and his favorite musician, Lil Wayne.
There was more, of course, but that pretty much summarizes Lochte’s life since Aug. 12. And, as you can obviously see, not much time was allotted to swimming (aside from his races with the Prince).
But things have now changed. On his Twitter account, Lochte said he resumed training Sept. 18 – last Tuesday. He’s lifting weights with his trainer, Matt DeLancey, and swimming under the direction of his longtime coach, Gregg Troy, at the University of Florida.
And that reminds us – you might have heard rumors of Lochte relocating to Southern California so he can focus some of his attention on his Hollywood aspirations while training for the next Olympics. We checked with Lochte’s manager Thursday about the move and she confirmed that it’s not in the cards – for now.
Last month Lochte hinted at competing at some of the FINA World Cup meets this fall, which are held in 25-meter (short course) pools, and then there’s the Short Course World Championships in December — Lochte won six races at the 2010 Short-Course Worlds.
Lochte told Fox News that he spent so much time in the spotlight after London in order to raise swimming’s profile, but he knows it’s time to buckle down and start swimming again.
After all, the 2016 Olympics are 1,407 days away.
- WATCH LIVE: Sochi Paralympics, Day 5 0
- Alpine Skiing World Cup Finals preview 0
- President Obama sends beer to Canadian prime minister to settle Olympic bet 2
- Boston Marathon announces increased security 0
- Oscar Pistorius vomits, cries during autopsy testimony 1
- Yuna Kim to skate in ‘retirement event’ 0
- More U.S. Paralympians crash in Alpine skiing 0