Sep 24, 2012, 3:11 PM EDT
Apparently while Kerri Walsh Jennings was diving, digging, and killing her way to her third consecutive gold, she was playing volleyball for two. The Olympic champ revealed Monday on the Today show that she was pregnant while competing in London.
“When I was throwing my body around fearlessly, and going for gold for our country, I was pregnant, and today I’m 11 weeks pregnant,” Walsh Jennings told Matt Lauer Monday.
Walsh, 34, admitted to feeling “unreasonably moody” during the Games to the point where her longtime teammate, Misty May-Treanor, actually guessed she might be pregnant.
“I thought it could have been the stress of the games and travel kind of throws your schedule off, but I knew,” Kerri told Lauer. “At some point, you’re late and then you start feeling something. And I definitely started feeling something in London.”
The baby is due in April, but that hasn’t slowed Kerri down much; She’s competed in three tournaments since London with her new partner, Nicole Branagh.
We did the math and it turns out that Kerri got pregnant the weekend she won a tournament in Gstaad, Switzerland. It was her and Misty’s first victory in nearly 11 months. Just saying… congratulations.
- U.S. 400m runner Torrin Lawrence dies in car accident 0
- Brazil’s Olympic coach wants Neymar to play at Rio 2016 0
- U.S. teams sweep World Series of Beach Volleyball (video) 0
- UPDATE: Noelle Pikus-Pace’s brother and his children found in Idaho 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross make WSOBV final 0
- Usain Bolt arrives in Glasgow, says he’s injury free 0
- Queen photobombs Commonwealth Games athlete selfie 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)