Sep 19, 2012, 4:35 PM EDT
And the hits just keep on coming.
When Utah law enforcement came to seize the valuable possessions of Olympic wrestling champ Rulon Gardner, who filed for bankruptcy on Aug. 31, they found that his Sydney gold and Athens bronze medals, which were specifically listed among his assets to confiscate, were missing.
Gardner claimed that one had disappeared from his father’s house in Wyoming and another from his residence in Wellsville, Utah. He wasn’t sure which was where, but said both were gone.
“He just said he didn’t have them, that they had come up missing due a theft or a burglary something,” Brad Slater, chief deputy sheriff for Cache County, told the USA Today on Wednesday. “We asked if he had filed a police report for either one of those places, and he said that he hadn’t.”
Gardner was forced to file for bankruptcy after totaling nearly $3 million in debt on a household income of only $37,932. Also missing was a vehicle that was listed for repossession, but the cops say there isn’t much they can do about it since the court order doesn’t include a warrant.
We’re, or course, not sure whether Gardner his gold and bronze were misplaced, stolen, or he’s simply hiding them (though that’s what we’d put money on), but come one, guys, let the man keep his medals.
- Haley Anderson wins Pan Pacs open-water 10K by .01 after jellyfish sting, move to Maui 0
- Gwen Jorgensen wins World Championship in triathlon 0
- How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics 0
- Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton 0
- Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video) 0
- Youth Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo (photos) 0
- U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)