Sep 19, 2012, 4:35 PM EST
And the hits just keep on coming.
When Utah law enforcement came to seize the valuable possessions of Olympic wrestling champ Rulon Gardner, who filed for bankruptcy on Aug. 31, they found that his Sydney gold and Athens bronze medals, which were specifically listed among his assets to confiscate, were missing.
Gardner claimed that one had disappeared from his father’s house in Wyoming and another from his residence in Wellsville, Utah. He wasn’t sure which was where, but said both were gone.
“He just said he didn’t have them, that they had come up missing due a theft or a burglary something,” Brad Slater, chief deputy sheriff for Cache County, told the USA Today on Wednesday. “We asked if he had filed a police report for either one of those places, and he said that he hadn’t.”
Gardner was forced to file for bankruptcy after totaling nearly $3 million in debt on a household income of only $37,932. Also missing was a vehicle that was listed for repossession, but the cops say there isn’t much they can do about it since the court order doesn’t include a warrant.
We’re, or course, not sure whether Gardner his gold and bronze were misplaced, stolen, or he’s simply hiding them (though that’s what we’d put money on), but come one, guys, let the man keep his medals.
- Katie Ledecky faces decisions in 2015, 2016 0
- Michael Phelps back in the pool; Phelps, Ledecky win Golden Goggles 2
- Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84 1
- Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban 0
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard (video); Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)