Sep 18, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
After leading Specialized-lululemon to gold in the team time trial at the Limburg world championships Sunday, Evelyn Stevens took silver in the individual race Tuesday, finishing behind 33 seconds behind Germany’s Judith Arndt.
The always smiling Stevens was still pretty happy with the result.
“Last year, I was fifteenth. This is only my third time trial in the worlds and puts me on path for the 2016 Olympics,” Stevens told VeloNews. “For me, it’s nice to see how far I’ve come… to make leaps and bounds, and have the big race on the big day.”
Her showing at worlds only adds to Steven’s impressive, albeit brief, resume, which includes beating Olympic gold medalist Marriane Vos at May’s Flèche Wallonne in Belgium. Stevens famously left her life as a Wall St. trader in 2009 to pursue her career as a professional cyclist. Arndt has been racing since 1991.
Stevens, 29, said she’s even more motivated for her upcoming time trials races after her silver at worlds and the disappointment of missing out in London when Amber Neben and Kristin Armstrong, who defended her Olympic title, took the two American spots.
“I want to go to the next Olympics and win,” Stevens added. First up, though, the worlds road race on Saturday, in which she’s expected to finish on the podium once again.
- U.S. 400m runner Torrin Lawrence dies in car accident 0
- Brazil’s Olympic coach wants Neymar to play at Rio 2016 0
- U.S. teams sweep World Series of Beach Volleyball (video) 0
- UPDATE: Noelle Pikus-Pace’s brother and his children found in Idaho 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross make WSOBV final 0
- Usain Bolt arrives in Glasgow, says he’s injury free 0
- Queen photobombs Commonwealth Games athlete selfie 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)