Sep 17, 2012, 3:50 PM EST
British track cyclist Sir Chris Hoy seems to be having a pretty good 2012.
He was named his country’s flagbearer at his hometown Games, won gold in team sprint and keirin, joined fellow cyclist Bradley Wiggins as Britain’s most decorated Olympian of all-time with seven career medals, and on Sunday was awarded the Freedom of Edinburgh.
“I’m immensely proud, but this award is for all the people who have helped me through the years,” Hoy told Sky News. “It’s been an amazing journey. It’s quite hard to take it all in, it’s an emotional day and one that I will never forget.”
Lord Provost Donald Wilson presented Hoy with the award following a parade for the six-time gold medalist through the streets of Edinburgh. It was Hoy’s third such parade of the week, but he said that seeing the support of those from home town made this one special.
“It’s very emotional to see just what it means to the public… it’s just amazing,” Hoy added. “You can’t really put it into words what it means but it’s our chance to thank everybody for their support.”
The hono(u)r – which has been granted to a select few including the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, Sir Sean Connery, and Nelson Madelav – is given to someone who distinguishes him or herself through their work and efforts and is held in high esteem by the people of a city.
- Alan Webb set for first Olympic-sized triathlon test Saturday 0
- Missy Franklin’s dream to become most decorated female swimmer ever 1
- U.S. aerialists, elementary school classmates, sweep World Cup titles 0
- Michael Phelps may be reinstated for World Championships, report says 0
- David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)