Sep 17, 2012, 5:53 PM EDT
Gold medal snowboarder Shaun White was arrested for public intoxication and vandalism Monday in Nashville after an altercation at a hotel, according to the AP.
The Metropolitan Nashville Police Department said in a release that officers were called to the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel after the 26-year-old allegedly pulled the fire alarm around 2 a.m. Monday morning, which forced an evacuation of the guests.
White then tried to escape in a cab, but when someone attempted to stop the action sports star, he kicked the “citizen” and tried to flee on foot. After a short chase White bumped into the same citizen, fell backward, and hit his head on a fence. He was then taken to be treated at a local hospital.
White turned down an opportunity to sign a misdemeanor citation and is charged with vandalism of $500 or less for breaking a phone during the incident.
White was released from Baptist Hospital Monday and has a hearing scheduled for Oct. 10. No news outlets have been able to reach White’s reps for comment. They’re apparently on vacation.
- Olympians enjoy April Fools’ Day on social media 0
- Kayla Harrison, back from collapse, rivaled by Brazilian for repeat gold in Rio 0
- Rio 2016 Olympics day-by-day events to watch 0
- A recent history of U.S. Olympic gymnastics comebacks 1
- Meryl Davis, Charlie White won’t compete next season 1
- Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman competitive with U.S. teammates in comeback 0
- Javier Fernandez wins upset World Championship; top American fourth 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)