Sep 14, 2012, 1:41 PM EST
President Obama and his lovely First Lady, Michelle, took time out of their busy campaign and leading the free world schedule to welcome Team USA to the White House Friday morning.
More than 400 Olympic and Paralympic athletes filled the South Lawn, including Michael Phelps and Tyson Gay, who the President said inspired him to run a bit faster and do a few more crunches as he watched them “do things that I did not think were humanly possible.”
“You could not have been better ambassadors or better representatives of the United States,” Obama proudly added of the team. “You gave us all a summer we will never forget.”
And though disappointed he couldn’t join his wife in London, President Obama joked that he (by which he likely means an intern) had “mastered the DVR,” and was able to catch a little of everything this summer.
Flag bearers Mariel Zagunis and Brad Snyder presented America’s First Couple with the Stars and Stripes they carried into the London Olympic Stadium, and then the President stayed to take pictures with the team before getting back to the business of running America. U-S-A! U-S-A!
- Lindsey Vonn OK after fall in Val d’Isere super-G (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn wins cow in Val d’Isere, one victory from record 0
- Michael Phelps gets probation after guilty plea in DUI case 6
- Stephen Colbert and the Olympics 0
- U.S. will bid for 2024 Olympics, no city chosen yet 6
- Adrian Peterson won’t try for Olympics, but other RBs might 2
- Rio Olympic track and field schedule released 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)