Sep 14, 2012, 1:41 PM EST
President Obama and his lovely First Lady, Michelle, took time out of their busy campaign and leading the free world schedule to welcome Team USA to the White House Friday morning.
More than 400 Olympic and Paralympic athletes filled the South Lawn, including Michael Phelps and Tyson Gay, who the President said inspired him to run a bit faster and do a few more crunches as he watched them “do things that I did not think were humanly possible.”
“You could not have been better ambassadors or better representatives of the United States,” Obama proudly added of the team. “You gave us all a summer we will never forget.”
And though disappointed he couldn’t join his wife in London, President Obama joked that he (by which he likely means an intern) had “mastered the DVR,” and was able to catch a little of everything this summer.
Flag bearers Mariel Zagunis and Brad Snyder presented America’s First Couple with the Stars and Stripes they carried into the London Olympic Stadium, and then the President stayed to take pictures with the team before getting back to the business of running America. U-S-A! U-S-A!
- Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir at Super Bowl Media Day (video) 0
- Galen Rupp talks training with Mo Farah, marathons, weird drug test story 0
- Russian Olympic, World champions get doping bans 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin lead World Alpine Skiing Championships women’s preview 1
- Rio 2016 Olympic torch relay details announced 0
- K.C. Boutiette returns to World Cup speed skating for first time since 2006 0
- Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)