Sep 7, 2012, 11:25 AM EDT
Lest you thought the London Games was your final shot to catch gymnastics until 2016, fear not: the U.S. athletes will kick off on the three-month, 40-city “Kellogg’s Tour of Gymnastics Champions.” This seems a misnomer since the men’s team is also included, but we’ll let it slide. The tour kicks off Saturday in San Jose.
The varying cast includes Gabby Douglas and the Fab Five or Fierce Five or whatever we’re calling them these days (we prefer “the Freshman”… just floating it out there), as well as Beijing standouts Nastia Liukin, Chellsie Memmel, and Alicia Sacramone, and men’s team members Jake Dalton, John Orozco, and Jonathan Horton, among others.
Curiously absent from the group is Danell Leyva, who won bronze on the high bar in London. Apparently he’s more interested in a future on the stage and is looking into adding his talents to the infamous “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” Broadway production after saying he was wowed by the stunts when he saw the show.
“He has designs on one of the nine Spidey roles who do the bulk of the swinging around the theater,” a crew member told the New York Post. “The ladies of ‘Spider-Man’ are drooling at the possibility.”
His gift. His curse.
- Gwen Jorgensen wins World Championship in triathlon 0
- How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics 0
- Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton 0
- Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video) 0
- Youth Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo (photos) 0
- U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds 1
- Zurich Diamond League final preview 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)