Sep 7, 2012, 8:52 AM EDT
Tianna Madison, Allyson Felix, Bianca Knight, and Carmelita Jeter of the U.S combined to run the fastest 4x100m relay time in history in London, finishing in 40.82 seconds and finally breaking a 27-year-old record owned by an East German squad from 1985.
“It’s an honor to be part of this team,” Felix, who won 200m gold, told reporters. “Who would have thought that we would have had a world record tonight? It’s amazing. Our names are going down in history.”
Lest you think it’s the last of the Cold War era records to fall, eight highly suspect world records from the 1980s – most of which have ties to the Soviet Union, alleged doping, and/or the USA’s own Florence Griffith Joyner – still stand.
How long can these last?
100m: Florence Griffith Joyner – 10.49 seconds, USA
200m: Florence Griffith Joyner – 21.34 seconds, USA
400m: Marita Koch – 47.60 seconds, East Germany
800m: Jarmila Kratochvilova – 1 minute 53.28 seconds, Czechoslovakia
100m Hurdles: Yordanka Donkova, 12.21 seconds, Bulgaria
4x400m relay: Tatyana Ledovskaya, Olga Nazarova, Mariya Pinihina, Olha Bryzhina – 3:15.17 USSR
High Jump: Stefka Kostadinova – 6 feet 7 ¼ inches, Bulgaria
Long Jump: Galina Cistjakova – 24 feet 8 ¼ inches, USSR
Follow Olympics Talk on Twitter for more news than admittedly seems necessary.
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski preview Skate America 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ agent seeks prison meeting to discuss running future 0
- Alpine skiing women’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski, Terry Gannon named NBC’s lead figure skating announcers 0
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 4
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)