Sep 7, 2012, 8:52 AM EDT
Tianna Madison, Allyson Felix, Bianca Knight, and Carmelita Jeter of the U.S combined to run the fastest 4x100m relay time in history in London, finishing in 40.82 seconds and finally breaking a 27-year-old record owned by an East German squad from 1985.
“It’s an honor to be part of this team,” Felix, who won 200m gold, told reporters. “Who would have thought that we would have had a world record tonight? It’s amazing. Our names are going down in history.”
Lest you think it’s the last of the Cold War era records to fall, eight highly suspect world records from the 1980s – most of which have ties to the Soviet Union, alleged doping, and/or the USA’s own Florence Griffith Joyner – still stand.
How long can these last?
100m: Florence Griffith Joyner – 10.49 seconds, USA
200m: Florence Griffith Joyner – 21.34 seconds, USA
400m: Marita Koch – 47.60 seconds, East Germany
800m: Jarmila Kratochvilova – 1 minute 53.28 seconds, Czechoslovakia
100m Hurdles: Yordanka Donkova, 12.21 seconds, Bulgaria
4x400m relay: Tatyana Ledovskaya, Olga Nazarova, Mariya Pinihina, Olha Bryzhina – 3:15.17 USSR
High Jump: Stefka Kostadinova – 6 feet 7 ¼ inches, Bulgaria
Long Jump: Galina Cistjakova – 24 feet 8 ¼ inches, USSR
Follow Olympics Talk on Twitter for more news than admittedly seems necessary.
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid is official 1
- Top ten storylines from World Track and Field Championships 0
- USOC, Los Angeles agree to 2024 Olympic bid, reports say 0
- U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003 3
- Usain Bolt anchors Jamaica to 4x100m relay gold after U.S. mishap 5
- Ashton Eaton breaks decathlon world record, wins World Championship 2
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)